Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Monday, November 23, 2009

Cultivate Gratitude

As Thanksgiving approaches, I have a tradition at my home. On the first of November, I put out a small basket with a pad of paper and a pen nearby. Everyday I write down one thing I am thankful for on a sheet of paper and put it in the basket. As each person enters my home during the month, I ask them to write down one thing and put it in the basket. On Thanksgiving, each person at my dinner table takes a turn picking a paper and reading it aloud. When my sons were little, we would laugh at some of the things that were written. But you get the idea. Being consciously aware of being grateful.

I call it "cultivating an attitude of gratitude". I am amazed at the people who have a hard time writing something down for my basket and I ask myself why. Don't we all live in America? Don't we all have something to be thankful for? Everyone is going through trials and tribulations, but the Bible calls us to be thankful for those too. "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds" (James 1:1-3).

As we head into Thanksgiving, take a few moments to reflect and be grateful. No matter what you're going through, there is always something positive to focus on. Make a commitment to yourself today to cultivate an attitude of gratitude, and watch what blossoms in your life!