Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Hold Lightly

Have you ever lost something of value? Perhaps it was a piece of jewelry, an expensive electronics gadget, or maybe even your wallet or purse?

I recently lost an expensive necklace. Now, I don't usually lose or misplace things, but perhaps I'm getting to that age when things start to happen, ya know what I mean? I thought I put it in my purse, but when I went to get it out, it was no where to be found. I searched high and low. Called several establishments I had visited and emptied my purse at least twice. All to no avail.

Dejected, disappointed, and disheartened, I resigned myself to its mysterious disappearance.

"Lord, if it be your will, please help me find my necklace," I prayed and decided to not give it anymore thought or let the incident steal any more of my joy.

"Hold lightly the things of this world," I heard the Lord whisper in my ear.

Yes, Lord, I know.

Two days later, as I approached my car, I noticed something shiny on the ground outside the driver's door.

It can't be. Is it?

As I stooped to pick up the shiny gold chain, I saw that it was indeed my necklace. My heart quickened momentarily until I saw that the precious opal was shattered. Slowly and sadly, I gathered up the iridescent remains and contemplated the meaning of the whole incident.

"Fret not," I heard the Lord whisper again. "I will give you something better."

Well, my prayer was answered. I did find the necklace. Too bad it was after I ran over it with the car, though.

My question for you, dear one, is what are you holding on to too tightly these days? Is it a necklace, a ring, a job, or perhaps a relationship? Hold lightly to it, for we never know when something will be taken from us. Let us in this season of Lent focus instead on the true things of value and appreciate those loved ones in our lives while they are still with us.

"So do not worry about what you shall eat or what you shall drink or wear. For the pagans run after these things and your Heavenly Father knows that you need them. Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be given to you as well." (Matthew 6:31-33)