Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Saturday, March 13, 2010

No Expectations

This week I continue to meditate on what it means to live well. To me, it means enjoy the present moment and learn to be content.

Learn to be content in the present moment also implies learning to be content with others. Now that's a biggy for me. Whenever I find myself upset, disappointed, or disillusioned, there's a good chance that I am operating out of some expectation. My problem is I expect others to behave in a certain way, the "right way". I find myself thinking "Well, he should ...." or "they should".

Problem with that kind of thinking is that the other person is not thinking the same way. What may be important to me, may not be as important to them. And, who's to say what I think is the right way anyway?

Now, please don't misunderstand, I'm not talking about unreasonable behavior. But people are human. Our selfish nature tends to tell us to look out for ourselves mostly. We all have busy lives and multiple priorities. Just because something is important to me doesn't mean it is important to someone else. I need to stop thinking "Well, he should do this or that"even when it comes to my children or partner.

The only person who can really meet all my needs is the Lord. Period, end of story. When I let go of my expectations and my "should" thinking, I notice I feel lighter, freer. A heaviness is lifted. When I "let go" of my expectations and need for control of the other person's behavior, I am free to enjoy the present moment. All I can do is ask for what I want or need, and then let go of the outcome. That way I won't feel disappointed and let down. And in the end, for me, that's what living well is all about.

Until the next time, be happy and enjoy your day!