Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Cleansing Rain

The skies opened up this morning and a strong summer shower descended like a million drops from heaven. As I watched the downpour, I was tempted to run out in it like a child enjoys running through a sprinkler. If you've ever done this, you know the joy I'm talking about.

Just as the earth needs to be cleansed and refreshed so flowers and fruit can grow, so our spirits need to be cleansed and refreshed, too. God's holy spirit is the rain that cleanses my soul and allows his fruit to grow.

But we, like the clouds, have to allow Him to break through.

How do we do this? How do we improve our connection with God so that His Spirit can fill us so we will be fruitful?

What am I learning is simple yet hard to do - slow down. A lot. Being a single parent so many years, my daily pace was constantly on fast forward. Many of us find ourselves running at this pace. I even know 80 year olds who have not slowed down enough to spend time with God. The news is: a fast pace is not conducive to connecting with God.

The choice is ours. Which will it be? Our fast-paced hectic lifestyles full of stress, tension, and anxiety or a life of joy and rest connected to our Lord. It's up to us each day. "Lo I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life...." (Deut. 30:19) Next time it rains, take a few minutes to go out and run in it. Feel the joy and be cleansed!