Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Practice Makes Perfect

Funny isn't it how when God wants us to work on something He gives us all kinds of opportunities to practice?

So, I'm working on this empathic listening skill, amongst other things. I agreed to meet my oldest son after work yesterday to go look at some houses. He kept mentioning how hungry he was so that was a tipoff to be even more careful with what I said. I've learned that when men get hungry, their tolerance level is much lower than normal for women's questions.

We looked at the houses and then decided to have dinner together. So far so good. After he had eaten a bit, he started to open up. I was very careful to avoid the ineffective communication techniques Covey mentioned in his book "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People." I tried to paraphrase and understand what my son was feeling. I really had to slow my responses down to do this.

Wow, this must be working. He is really opening up.

We had quite a good conversation overall and I think He felt understood. I felt like we connected at a heart level and isn't that what good communication is all about?

Who is it in your life that is difficult to communicate with? Maybe all they really need is someone to listen to them. After all God did give us two ears and one mouth, didn't He? I'm looking forward to my next opportunity to practice.