Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Saturday, February 25, 2012

I Will Always Love You

I was at the airport waiting to board the plane, when I heard the tragic news: Whitney Houston dead at age 48. How very sad. Only days before her death, Whitney sang about her love for Jesus. How could this have happened?

It is hard to fathom the pressures of being a Hollywood celebrity, raising a daughter, going through a divorce, and having a lifestyle of the rich and famous. Whitney is not the first. I think of others who have died before their time: Marilyn Monroe, Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson. What a loss for the world of such talent.

There are many voices that clamor for my attention these days, trying to distract me from the path that God would have me travel. "I will lead you in the path of righteousness" (Ps. 23:3). It is so difficult to hear His Voice amidst the hustle and bustle of today's frenetic lifestyle. But if I want to stay close to Him, I must slow down, tune out these other voices and practice my listening skills.

No matter what life brings, no matter what trials we face, no matter what loneliness we may feel, we can be comforted by the words of Whitney's famous song, the same words that Jesus is speaking to us today "I will always love you." Until next time, keep the faith and keep looking up!