Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Friday, March 30, 2012

Palm Sunday - Our Expectations

Palm Sunday is this weekend. I think of the Lord Jesus riding into the city on a donkey, the people waving palms and cheering. They heralded Jesus as their savior, their King, mistakenly thinking he was going to set them free from Roman rule. But their expectations turned to disappointment, anger and eventually led Jesus to the cross.

How many times have my expectations led me to disappointment and frustration, even anger? Especially when the holidays come around, I expect loved ones to want to participate in the festivities, enjoy a nice family get-together, and that everything go smoothly. Yet, how many times does it really work out the way I expect? There is always some kink, some challenge that threatens to ruin everything if I let it.

Then I become frustrated and upset when others don't live up to my expectations. Who really is to blame for my unhappiness? Me, of course! If I learn to live and let live, all is well. All I can do is extend the invitation - no strings, no guilt, no pressure.

Jesus did not come to set the people free from Roman rule. He came to set them free from themselves. He wants to do the same for us today. He wants to set us free from our expectations so that we can let others be free as well. Jesus said in Luke 19:42 "How I wish today that you of all people would understand the way to peace."

What is it this season that is stealing your peace? Is it expectations of others? Yourself? God does not have expectations of us. He knows and accepts us just as we are. Would we not do well to act the same towards those we love?

Until next time, keep looking up!