Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Practicing the Presence of God - Part 3

Life is busy, isn't it? We have a list of things to do a mile long and we go from one thing to the next trying to get it all done. Then there are those things on our minds that we are not even aware at times. Seems someone always wants our attention: our kids, our bosses, our spouse, our friends. All this busyness can lead to anxiety, stress, fatigue and a host of other symptoms.

The mind and the body were not built to handle so much on a daily basis without regular periods of rest, relaxation, and solitude.

People in Jesus' time had stresses of their own. They had no modern medicine or conveniences such as we have today, and were, for the most part, poor and uneducated. Jesus himself experienced people wanting his time and attention quite regularly. So when things got hectic and the crowds clamored for his attention, what did he do? He went away to be quiet and spend time with the Father in solitude, prayer, and meditation.

As I talked about last time, prayer is an important component to maintaining my peace and connection to God. Being alone with God is the third way to practice the presence of God.

When I make time to be alone and meditate, I clear my mind of all the clutter that has accumulated. I make space to hear God's voice because I have shut down all the other voices. I've been told I think too fast and too much so it is even more imperative for me to slow stop and clear my mind.

How often you do make time alone with the Lord? Do you make it a priority? How has it helped you maintain your connection to Him? Drop me a note and share your thoughts. I'd love to hear from you and in the meantime, keep looking up!