Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Tuesday, January 18, 2022

How to Face Your Fears - Dealing with Covid

What is it that you are facing today that is causing you anxiety? A job issue? Health concern? Relationship troubles? Finances? Covid? There are many reasons to be anxious and fearful these days, but we do have a choice. Everyone is facing similiar battles, but some people don't seem to be as bothered by them. Why is that? Today I'm sharing on a tangent from our series although you will see next week that this post is related to step 2 to igniting the power within.  

As author and speaker, Joyce Meyer, states, "The battlefield is the mind" and that is so true. Our thought life is where our battles actually begin. Fears and anxieties are stored deep in our subconscious minds. As author Eckhardt Tolle, says in his book "A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose", we each have a "pain-body" that is  an accumulation of old emotional pain or wounds, as I call them. Some people believe they are from past lives. Not sure what to say about that, but I do believe part of our purpose here on earth is to heal our souls, and the pain-body that is attached to them. This is one reason why I write about healing. 



I remember raising my two sons as a single parent and life seemed so overwhelming. I remember crying out to God in my moments of weakness and despair, pleading for help. "I can't handle this anymore, Lord." I was trying to do it all in my own strength instead of depending on the Lord. We all have these moments but what is actually happening? In my case, I was reliving the emotional pain of a chaotic, fearful and out-of-control childhood with an alcoholic father. The same feelings I felt as a child were resurfacing in the present moment. 

Something happened in our past that we may or may not remember that causes a short-circuit shall we say. Whenever a situation occurs in the present that is similiar in some way, the wire is tripped and our unconscious mind triggers the fear/anxiety response which in turn triggers some anxious behavior. It's a cycle that must and can be broken. The wiring can be fixed. But it takes courage. And faith. 

But realize this - we are never really alone in our battles. God is always with us and for us. God is on our side and no matter how alone, overwhelmed or helpless we may "feel", the truth is that God promises to answer our cries.

                    "Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here I am." (Isaiah 58:9). 

Romans 8:31 says "If God is for us, who can stand against us?". Isn't that great news? God is on our side. You have the power of Almighty God fighting your battles with you. So when you are down and out, when you are afraid of the uncontrollable, remember the words of the Apostle Paul: "for when I am weak then He is strong" (2 Cor 12:10) and also in the book of Joel 3 which says "let the weak say I am strong". By focusing on the truth in the word of God, we reprogram our minds. Instead of thinking, "This is overwhelming", I can think "God is going to help me through this" and "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Slowly but surely the wiring (our thoughts) will be repaired and situations that used to cause anxiety will no longer do so.

For Reflection:
What anxious or fearful thoughts have been plaguing you lately? Are you worrying about what may happen? What if scenarios? Do yourself a favor and give those cares and worries to the Lord. "Cast all your cares (worries, concerns, anxieties) on Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

Take control of your thoughts by staying in the present moment, not in yesterday or tomorrow. I encourage you to be courageous and stand up to your fears from the past. Do you want to live a life of fear and anxiety? I think not but the choice is ultimately up to us. When you have done all you know to do, then rest, pray, and trust. "Be still and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10).

Until next time, thanks for reading and 

Keep looking up!

Ariel Paz

No comments:

Post a Comment