Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Sunday, August 26, 2012

What's Wrong with High Standards?

Most of my friends know that I love to dance. It's fun, good exercise, and a great stress relief at the end of a long work week. But I am particular where I go to dance. I want to hear a band that plays good music I can dance to. They have to put some effort into it, ya know what I mean? It's just not worth it to get all dressed, put makeup on, drive, and pay money to go listen to some band play a bunch of songs that don't move me. I want to be MOVED!

Some would say I have high standards. I would agree. I do have certain standards. Let me give you another example - house cleaning. I used to hire people to clean my house. I remember one woman said to me "Well, I don't clean microwaves." I'm not going to share what I was thinking.

I don't think my expectations are unrealistic. If I am paying for a service, I expect to get good service and quality. Why do you think people have bought Japanese cars for so many years? What makes a good restaurant last? Good quality and good service, right?

As a child of God, I am called to be a person of excellence. I am not supposed to settle for mediocrity. God gave us his best so why shouldn't I give him my best? Yes, it takes effort. Yes, it takes time, but if I want God's best in my life, I must be willing to do MY best.

I know not everyone feels this way. But it comes back to a favorite verse of mine, "You reap what you sow" (Gal 6:7). It is a principle of life that we can ignore, but nonetheless, the results will always hold true.

Do you want God's best for your life? If so, what kind of standards have you set for yourself? Are you putting your best effort forth at whatever you do?
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as unto the Lord."(Col 3:23)

So, I am sure I have stirred some of you up. Agree? Disagree? Drop me a note and share your thoughts. Until next time, keep looking up!