Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Who's in Control Here?

We all want to do our own thing, when we want, how we want and with whom we want, don't we? We make plans and go to great extents to have everything just the way we want it.

Being a single parent, I've had to take control of a lot of stuff: child-rearing decisions, house decisions, health care decisions. I could go on and on, but you get the idea, right? We get used to being in control of our lives.

But then something happens that is out of our control: a child becomes addicted, a spouse cheats, an illness, tragedy or hurricane strikes. Then what?

Then it's time for a change of perspective. It's time to realize the truth.

Control is an illusion.

I may think I am in control of my life, but am I? Not really. What's more, I'm not in control of anyone else's life either. I can't make anyone do anything they don't want to do no matter how much I beg, plead, or reason. When I keep trying to control situations or others, the more frustrated I get. When I protest against decisions others make, like my boss, the government or the homeowners association, I make myself miserable. Anybody relate?

So what is the solution? The solution is to realize that God is really in control of everything, not me. When I learn to surrender, (yes, it's a tough word to swallow, but it can be done), I am more at peace. I can trust that although the situation may look bad, God has a good outcome in store. I can relax and let go of things that are out of my control. I find that even though my plan didn't work out, God's plan was ultimately better in the long run.

It all comes down, once again, to faith. So the next time your plans are foiled or a situation doesn't sit well with you, instead of getting all bent out of shape, pause and take a breath. Sit back, relax, and surrender it up to God. Trust me, He can work it out if we let Him. Like the old television show, Father really does know best!