Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Lessons from Biking - # 2

After a very busy week at work, I decided to take another ride on the trail this morning. It's a good way to destress and clear the mind while getting exercise and enjoying the outdoors all at the same time.

Unlike last week, the trail was practically empty. The quiet of the morning allowed me to hear the birds chirping and the gentle sounds of the river as it kissed the rocks along the way.

The greenery of the trees and brush were speckled with bright spots of yellow and purple wildflowers. It was truly a lovely morning to ride. Since there weren't many others on the trail, I decided it was time to kick the pace up a notch from my normal speed. Now, keep in mind, I am not a speed demon by any stretch, so going faster takes a bit of courage for me.

When I stopped for a break, I noticed a group of bikers chatting. One woman wore a biking jersey with these words on the back:
"All those who wander are not lost". I chuckled to myself and thought about it for a few minutes. Is that really true?

Looks like I'm not the only person who waxes philosophical on the trail. So here are a few more analogies to life that occured to me today that I thought I'd share. Hope they speak to you the way they spoke to me.

- When you get accustomed to the pace of life and there are no distractions, it's time to step it up a bit.

- Stepping up the pace takes courage.

- When the road gets rocky, slow it down so you don't fall over.

- Following the pack can slow you down.

- Clearing the mind is good for the spirit.

- Enjoy the sights and sounds of life while on the journey.

- Some people are oblivious to where they are going.

And last but not least, when the road is long, take time to rest.

It is so true that sports can teach us a lot about life. What lessons have you learned from your favorite sport? Drop me a note and share.

Until next time, keep looking up and enjoy the weekend!