Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Faith, Fear, and Focus

No question about it, life is tough! It doesn't matter where we are in life, every season has its own set of challenges. It is up to us to decide how we will respond to these challenges - with faith or fear.

Since it's the start of a brand new year, I've been talking about setting goals this month. As we all know, making forward progress in life is a challenge in and of itself. I've discovered that our main enemy is this silly thing called fear - False Evidence Appearing Real.

Fear comes in many forms: doubt, worry, anxiety and negativity, to name a few, all of which have one purpose - to distract us from moving forward and achieving our goals in life. Fear also steals our joy and our peace and that really sucks, doesn't it?

What to do? Shrink back? Retreat? Give up? Cry? Drink?

NO!!

The answer is to STAND FIRM and refuse to give up or give in. We will be rewarded in due time for "God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward, they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him" (James 1:12).

When trials come my way, I repeat this phrase to lighten the situation. "This is a test. This is only a test. In the event of an actual emergency, you will be instructed where to tune in your area." Remember that blurb they used years ago when testing on the radio? I know where to tune in - to Jesus, the author and finisher of my faith. When I put my focus on Jesus he gives me peace through any storm and calms the waves of doubt, fear and anxiety that threaten to drown me, if I let them. Jesus gives me strength, courage, and confidence to endure till the storm passes.

What are you going through this month that is distracting you from your goals? Where has your focus been? If you don't know where to tune in, may I encourage you to give Jesus a try? Like Coca-Cola, He is the real thing and he will refresh and energize you to keep pressing on to accomplish your goals.

Until next time, keep the faith, keep looking up and as Winston Churchill said long ago, "Never, never give up!"