Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

When Life Gets Out of Balance

As a single woman in this country, I am very grateful for the many freedoms I enjoy. But with great freedom comes great responsibility, true? The pressures to do a good job at work, maintain a home and a car, eat well, exercise, care for relatives and be there for friends can be exhausting at times. And when one area of life gets out of balance, it throws a kink in the whole works. I don't know how your year has started off, but mine has been quite, shall I say, challenging. Can anyone relate?

In my quiet time recently, as I was reflecting on this whole singleness thing yet once again, the thought occurred to me: Jesus was single! Yes, he was. Didn't he have a ton of things to do as well? My list pales in comparison to his: healing the sick, feeding the poor, fighting the religious rulers of the day, and teaching the disciples, not to mention preaching to thousands. Jesus didn't have a car or even a home, as far as I know, but was he ever stressed or pressured? I doubt it. In fact, Jesus encourages us to learn from him. My life verse for this year is Matthew 11:28-30 and the words come back to me again.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Now I understand the first part about coming to him to rest. But I think the key could be in the very next verse. "For I am gentle and humble in heart." Wow. Isn't it when we try to press our own desires and ways that tension comes? Gentle and humble in heart. I believe that correlates to surrendering. You know the prayer, "Not my will, but thine be done." What I am learning is that when I surrender, even if I know I am right, there is peace. I can trust that God will show the other party what the right thing is sooner or later. In the meantime, I can relax and let go. Then my burden is no longer heavy. Interesting how this all fits together, isn't it?

So, as I meditate on this passage and how I can apply it to my life, I wanted to share with my friends. Perhaps you have already learned this lesson and if so, good for you. I know I need more practice. What kinds of situations throw you off balance and what tips can you share with us? I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas. In the meantime, I think it's time for another post-it on my kitchen cabinet! Have a great rest of the week and as always, keep looking up!









No comments:

Post a Comment