Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Can I Just Get a Little Peace & Quiet?

Ever heard yourself mutter these words? We all want peace and quiet from time to time, don't we? Why, then, is it so elusive to find? Could it be because we are looking in 'all the wrong places?"

As summer winds down and ads remind us of the beginning of school season , many are realizing their summer has flown by. As for me, I have enjoyed the days but trying to find peace and quiet at the pool has proven to be a bit more challenging this year.

It appeared to be a perfect day to relax at the pool. It was a Monday and only a handful of people were in attendance.

"Ah, this is going to be great," I thought as I settled into my lounge chair and pulled my wide-brimmed hat over my eyes. But oh no. It was not meant to be. First, the guy next to me starts playing music on his phone, despite the sign that says "No audible electronic devices without headphones." 

Grrrrr.

"Ok, maybe this is a test then." Don't you love these tests the Lord gives us? Kind of like a pop quiz back in high school. You never know when the teacher is going to spring one on you.

"I am going to stay calm, peaceful, and relaxed, despite this distraction." I put on a set of earplugs to help muffle the sound and settle in. A few minutes later....

The maintenance guy starts mowing the lawn with his extremely loud whatever it is.
Grrrrr. Grrrrr.  I turn up the volume on my ipod nano.  "That's two," I'm thinking I've got this test aced. Until....

The garbage truck starts to unload the dumpsters! By this time, I was at wit's end as they say.
I sat straight up in my chair and said "What do I do now, Lord?" albeit a tad frustrated. You know what I did then? I burst out laughing! Yup. The devil just hates it when he has done everything he can think of to get our goat and we laugh at his antics.

Laughter is one of our greatest weapons against frustration and losing our cool. When the back of my neck starts to tighten up, I know it's time to lighten up and not take things so seriously. In my book, "The Power of Faith", I have a quote that says "Laughter is the sunshine that chases winter from the face," by Victor Hugo.

Moral of the story: we can search the world over but peace is always found in the Lord. Jesus promises us " My peace I give unto you, not as the world gives" (John 14:27) because he knew we would never find true peace in this chaotic world of ours.

Where are you looking for peace? If it's not working, may I humbly suggest you try Jesus? He is the REAL THING! Until next time, keep smiling and keep looking up!