Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Saturday, October 17, 2015

One Thing Missing from the Law of Attraction

What is it that you want to "attract" into your life today? Riches? Love? A bigger home or a new car? Better health? What will you do to get these things? Work more hours? Join an internet dating site? Think positive thoughts?

There are many belief systems out there that tell us how to receive the desires of our hearts. One of them is called "The law of attraction" which gained immense popularity in 2006 with the book entitled "The Secret". The basic premise of the book is that we can attract whatever we desire in our lives simply by thinking about it. The book promises that by focusing on the object of our desires, things such as money and relationships will "magically" appear in our lives.

The interesting thing is this book has sold over 6 million copies in many different languages and has spawned a whole series of books along these lines. Millions of people adhere to this concept. The law of attraction is a modern twist on the "The Power of Positive Thinking", a classic book by Norman Vincent Peale with one major difference. 
 
Last weekend I was visiting the mall and decided to have my hair straightened at one of those kiosks that sell flat irons. So there I am in the chair ready to be beautified when the young lady straightening my hair, perhaps 20 maybe 22 years of age, starts asking about my relationship status. I don't know why, but people always seem to be very interested in that topic for some reason.

"I'm single," I replied.

"Well, you need to start thinking about Mr. Wonderful and start expecting him to appear at any moment."

She's talking about Faith - believing in what has not yet been seen. I smiled.

But no, during the entire conversation there was not one mention of God. She went on to explain to me about how the law of attraction works. Now I am somewhat familiar with the concept and what struck me was the fact that she was the  second gal I had met in the past two weeks who believed in the law of attraction. Was I attracting these people to me, I wondered? Or vice versa? Was I supposed to talk to them about God? God seems to have a funny way of matching me up with people who don't believe in Him like Buddhists, fallen away Jews, etc. Anyway.

Now I am all for thinking positive thoughts, believe me. In fact, scripture exhorts us to think on good things: "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." (Phil 4:8). So in that regard, the law of attraction is in agreement with scripture.

However, one key ingredient that the law of attraction seems to be missing is the importance of God. God has the starring role in our blessings. James 1:17 says "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights,".  Notice the word "every" and then notice the word "Father".

We are all on our own path and we each have our own journey in life. So who is to say, perhaps when we think more positively we do attract more good things into our lives. But could it be because God is rewarding us for changing our thinking? On the other hand, how many people have thought about winning the lottery but have yet to do so? So we cannot say that the law of attraction works every time, can we?

So now I ask you - do you believe in the law of attraction? Do you believe that simply by thinking about your desires they will appear in your life?Or do you believe that there is a God who wants the best for us and is more than willing to bless his children according to his will for our lives? I would love to hear what you have to say about this topic.

If you'd like to receive your free guide entitled "7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path" please enter your email in the box to the right. It is what I call a non-denominational guide for anyone who'd like to seek and grow their spiritual life.

 Until next time, keep looking up and remember - good things happen to those who wait upon the Lord.

Ariel










No comments:

Post a Comment