Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Has Babylon Overtaken You?


Babylon represents all the glitz, glamour, and glory this world has to offer. In Babylon, everything was big. Their army was big and feared among the nations.

What is it you are facing today that seems insurmountable? What dream has yet to materialize? What illness yet to be resolved? Is it a financial worry or perhaps a relationship gone sour?

God has placed dreams in all of us. We dream of "the good life", but what exactly is "the good life"? A bigger house? A fancier car? Taking that dream vacation or finding the love of our life? Some dream of reaching the top of the corporate ladder. Others reach for the pinnacle of success, stardom, and fame.

As I spent time in reflection this past Lenten season, I asked myself these questions:

1. Have I, too, strayed from the Holy One who alone can satisfy the desires of my heart?

2. Has my focus shifted to the wrong priorities?

3. Have I depended too long on my own strength and wisdom instead of the power of God?

4. Am I willing to endure "unfair" circumstances and what could be perceived as the "wrath" of God?

Sadly, I must confess the answer that came was yes and once again I was humbled at the foot of the cross. The verses of scripture I have memorized over the years filled my mind like pools of refreshment.

"My grace is sufficient unto thee," (2 Cor 12::9)

"It is not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit sayeth the Lord" (Zech 4:6)

Despite my best efforts to downsize, declutter, and reprioritize, Jesus is still calling me to come unto Him. Matt 11:28 was my memory verse all last year. Jesus says to us these words in the New Testament: "Come to me all who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest."

When our dreams go up in a puff of smoke, the illness yet undiagnosed, and the relationship we coveted lost, let the words of the Psalmist comfort you as they comfort me. "Be not downcast, oh my soul" ( Ps. 43:5). In times of difficulty we are to put our hope and our trust in God alone. He alone is our fortress and strong tower. The righteous run into it and they are saved.

No matter how many times we get off course, the Good Shepherd is faithful to rein us in like the lost sheep of Israel. He desires that none perish but that we all have life and have it to the full. Our God never keeps score. I serve a God of second, third, and fourth chances and for that I give him my life and my devotion.

Who are you serving these days, dear one? What god are you worshipping? "Lean not on your own understanding but in all ways acknowledge Him, and He shall make all your paths straight." (prov. 3:5-6).  Whatever is off course, whatever is lost, whatever is still a mystery, trust God. He is faithful. He is merciful and He is still on our side.

Until next time, keep moving forward on your journey to faith and as always, keep looking up!