Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Sunday, August 24, 2014

How to Hear from God

Ever feel like God is "up there somewhere", distant? Think He's too busy for you and your "stuff"? Perhaps you go to church on occasion and pray from time to time when things get really tough. You believe God exists, but you don't really know him on a personal level.

Know God on a personal level? Is that even possible you may ask? The answer is a resounding YES! It is not only possible, God wants to connect with you on a personal level. Yes, YOU! He is crazy about you and cares about everything you care about. In fact, He wants to help simplify your life. He wants to make things go well for you. He wants to give you your heart's desire. But, like any good relationship and like the saying goes, it takes two to tango.


What is the key component of a good relationship? Communication, right? It all starts with talking. Well, it's the same thing with God. He wants us to talk to Him: not just on sundays, not just at church, not just when we're in a bind. Let me give you a quick example.

The other night, I was contemplating what to do with my Friday evening.

"Lord, should I go to the movie or to hear the music?"

Go to the concert.

No, I'm not crazy and no, it was not an audible response, but let's just say, I have learned to listen to that still small voice, for the most part that is.

"But, you know how much I love to dance and I hate sitting there with no one to dance with.. and besides - it's been raining all afternoon". 

Silence. I don't think God likes to repeat himself.

So off I go to the concert. The sun began to peep its face out and the skies began to clear. The music starts. My feet are a-tapping and my hands are a-clapping. You get the picture. Next thing I know, out of my peripheral vision, I notice this guy walking towards my chair. I turn to look at him.

"Would you like to dance?" he asks. Now I will tell you I have been to this event many times over the summer and this is the first time someone from the crowd has asked me to dance.

"I'd love to," I replied delighted. I could tell the guy enjoyed dancing as much as I do. He was smiling from ear to ear and in his own world.
"Thank you, Lord," I uttered to myself. "Thank you for sending someone to dance with me tonight and for keeping the rain away. Thank you for a fun evening."

Now this is just a simple story but it kind of gives you the idea. When we are unclear about a decision, or need assistance - say finding a parking spot, deciding what to do or where to go, it is to our benefit to talk to God about it. In fact, there are several scripture verses that speak to this:

"In all your ways, acknowledge Him and He will make your plans straight." (Prov. 3:6)
"Ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find." (Matt 7:7)
"Pray without ceasing," (I Thess 5:17).

For Reflection
I encourage you to start talking to God about the little things in your daily life as well as the big ticket items. God is interested. When we have an attitude of gratitude, it shows our gratefulness for our blessings. You will see more of God in your life because God wants us to know him. Why do you think he created us? Share a situation in which you connected with God or post a comment on your thoughts about this post. I'd love to hear your story.

If you'd like to receive a copy of my free e-guide entitled "7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path" enter your email address in the box provided and I'll get it right to you.

Until next time, keep smiling and keep looking up!

Ariel Paz








No comments:

Post a Comment