Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Double for Your Trouble

We’ve all heard the saying about “everything that can go wrong, will go wrong”. Ever feel like that is the case? The furnace goes up. The car battery dies. The phones die. The computer goes on the fritz. Seems like things all hit the fan at once sometimes and I ask “Lord, what is going on around here?” I have learned that these are all tests in the school of life and when we learn to respond in a patient and gracious manner, we can trust that God will give us double for our trouble.


So the other day I was having lunch with two friends. I decided to head over to a local Asian spot since I was in not in the mood for salty soups and sandwiches. I placed my take-out order and asked the cashier how long the wait would be.


"Ten minutes or so," he says.

“Ok, that should be fine,” I answered and checked my phone for the time.
Ten minutes goes by. Then fifteen. Then twenty.

Ok, it’s been twice as long as the time he quoted me. I think I better check on my order.
“It’s on the grill now,” replied the cashier.

“Ok, just wanted to check on the status,” I replied and sat back down against the wall.
After a twenty-five minute wait, the cashier packs up my ginger broccoli chicken and says “Here’s your order”. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper, but I thanked him and hurried over to meet my friends, who I was sure had finished their lunches by then.  I was resolved to respond to the customer survey on the bottom of my meal receipt.
About a week or so later, I get an email from the company.
“We regret to hear about your take-out experience and we appreciate your feedback. We’d like to send you a “Be Our Guest” coupon to regain your confidence.”
Now THAT is customer service. But wait, it gets better. The next day, I received a phone call from the manager of the establishment. He, too, was apologetic, and offered not only a “Be Our Guest” card but he said,
“The next time you are in the area, stop by and your meal is on us.” Wow!
As I sipped my hot spearmint tea, enjoying my full course meal on the house, I sensed the still small voice speak to me.
“I’m giving you double for your trouble.” I paused and said a quiet prayer.  Somehow I felt that it was more than just the meal He was talking about.
Thank you, Lord. Thank you.
If you’re going through a tough season right now, take heart. The Lord, our God, sees everything you that is happening to you: the stress of the job, the family, the health issues, the financial woes. He is sovereign and He will not let anything happen in our lives without giving us His grace to endure. I love the verse in 1 Peter 5:10 that says  And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.” Nothing is wasted with God. Every tear, every heartache, every broken relationship serves a purpose.  If you have a minute, listen to the song below and until next time, keep looking up!

Ariel