Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Thursday, May 7, 2015

The Single Most Important Factor to Success

What is success? How do we define it and how do we achieve it? Many are looking for the answer, but the truth is there is no one answer.

Success is a value. It is personal. Each individual who is motivated to be successful will need to come to terms with his or her own idea of what success looks like for him/herself. Some define success in terms of fame, popularity, and being well-known. For others, it means making a 6-figure income, achieving a high-ranking corporate position, and having all the luxuries of life at their disposal. A third group define success in terms of doing what they enjoy and value such as being able to spend more time with the family, maintaining their health and doing good in the world. What's more, one's idea of success can change as we achieve in different areas of our lives and fulfill what Maslow calls our basic human needs.

Whatever your definition of success is, there is one factor that is the common denominator in success of any type. I'll call it "the ability to show up". For example, to be a success on the job, we must report to work everyday, arrive on time, and be mentally alert. We must "show up". After working in a corporate environment world for over 30 years, showing up is a given. A fellow coworker put it this way "They expect us to be on our A game every day" and it was true. You were either 100% or they didn't need you.

If we want to be a successful parent, it is important to show up there as well: for the baseball game, the soccer match, the school play, the Honor awards ceremony. We might not think of it as important, but to our son or daughter our presence means the world. Kids notice more when we're NOT there, than when we are. As a single parent, it meant cutting out of work earlier and staying later the next day, but if it means seeing my son hit a home run, get a chance to pitch, or score that goal, it was well worth it.

In our personal relationships, if we tell our spouse or friend we will be available at a certain time to have lunch or dinner will we show up? Or will we call with an excuse at the last minute? Will we be available to help out when crisis hits and a friend is in need? Will we show up to visit, cook or bring them a meal? Will we listen to our spouse talk about his/her day and tune out the television, computer and cell phone? Will we be present?

What about showing up for ourselves? Suppose I want to lose some weight. I tell myself I am going to work out or go to the gym 4 times a week. Will I show up? Will I do what I said I was going to do? Same thing with learning any new skill such as learning to dance, practicing yoga, meditation, reading the Bible, or training for a 10k or a marathon. It goes for writing these blog posts. I've been writing them faithfully for six years now. Do you think it's been easy? Not at all, but I can tell you I've learned a lot about showing up even in my free time. I learned to sit myself down at the computer and write. It wasn't as hard writing the book because I had so much inside I wanted to pour out on paper. It still took discipline to do this after working 8 hours at a mentally demanding career. I tracked the days and the times I spent writing to establish a regular writing routine. You might say I was driven to show up.

Finally, what about showing up for God? When we hear that call to help out at church, visit a sick friend, or volunteer for a worthy charity, will we show up? In the morning when we know God is waiting to meet with us and talk with us in that quiet time, will we show up? Will we rise a few minutes earlier if necessary so we can have that special time with God? I have realized this is the most important appointment of my day. Everything falls into place and I have a sense of peace knowing I am fully protected and prepared for whatever comes at me during the day.

The key to success in any area of our life begins with this one simple step - just show up. When we want to do something new, something different, something we feel we are not quite ready for, all we have to do is show up. We don't need to have the whole plan mapped out from A to Z. If we're on a God-sized mission, we won't even know what the next step is most of the time. All we have to do is show up and do "the next right thing".

What is it you want to achieve in this life? What area of life do you wish to be successful in? Ask yourself this question: "Am I showing up?" This really makes a tough job seem much less difficult. When we want to achieve something new it can seem like a mountain in front of us, but really, as Jesus said, if we have faith the size of a mustard seed, we can move mountains. In other words, what may seem impossible to us, begins with the first step of just showing up and believing. If we keep showing up day after day, we are going to make progress. We will slowly climb that mountain. We will gain clarity on what to do next to achieve our goal.

If this post has resonated with you, I'd love to hear your feedback. Please click the Google +1 button or leave a comment. If you'd like a copy of my free e-guide entitled "7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path" enter your email in the box provided.

Until next time, keep looking up!

Ariel