Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Monday, January 4, 2016

Start the New Year Right

Happy New Year, everybody! Can you believe it is 2017? I'm so excited about accomplishing new things this year. I can't wait to see what adventures this year brings. How about you?

What are your goals and dreams for the New Year? Need to lose those 20 pounds you've been carrying around? Get your financial house in order? Or maybe declutter the junk in the house you've been accumulating over the years?

Now I'm a big believer in goals and have been setting them since I was a child, believe it or not. There is something about having a vision for my life and a goal to work towards that gives me energy and motivates me to move forward in life. Achieving a worthwhile goal builds my confidence and gives me an inner satisfaction.


In case you missed my post on setting goals last year, I talked about making SMART goals. A good goal must be:
S - specific - clearly stated
M - measureable - must be quantifiable
A - achievable - must be realistic
R - relevant - must be important to you
T- time bound - set a date to accomplish it by

A second major component to achieving our goals is we need to have a PLAN. It's not enough to state our goals out loud, publish them on Facebook, or note them in a journal. Without a plan to implement our goals we will fail miserably. I've heard it said "Failing to plan is planning to fail." Make sense?

I break my life into 5 major areas and create a goal for each of those areas. Let's say, in the area of fitness, I want to lose 10 pounds by the end of the year. The next thing I need to do is list 3 - 5 action steps I am going to start immediately to accomplish each goal. Action steps for losing the 10 pounds might be:

1. Take a brisk walk for 30 minutes every day.
2. Ask myself if I am really feeling hunger before I eat something.
3. Reduce the amount of fats, sweets, and salt I consume by half.

The third component of achieving my goals is the most important. Without this component, we will surely fail. We must learn to develop the power of Faith. We must BELIEVE we can accomplish what we set out to do and that God is going to give us the grace to do it. Faith is  KEY to accomplishing anything good in life but it must be backed up with action steps and of course, prayer.

So, write and share one of your goals with me. If you need help defining your goals, write me and I'll help you out. If you'd like to start receiving my bi-weekly posts enter your email in the box provided. I'll also send you a copy of my free e-guide "7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path". 

Until next time, keep looking up!

Ariel