Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

One Key to Hearing From God

If you're a parent, you know how frustrating it is when your kids don't listen, right? You keep repeating yourself and it seems no one is paying any attention.  Sometimes I think my Heavenly Father must feel the same way about me.

"Why isn't she listening?"        

God is still speaking to us today. The problem is we are in way too much of a hurry to slow down and listen to him. We are so preoccupied with our plans and our agendas, we care little for what God's plans and agendas may be. As I recently explained to my son, God speaks to each of us uniquely. He speaks in ways only we will understand. It doesn't matter if someone else doesn't understand, what matters is that you know that God is speaking to you.

To give you an example, here's a personal story that happened a few years back.  First, I have to give you a little background. Over the years, I have dated several men who have been good dancers. The dancing was great, but sadly, none of the relationships worked out and I suffered great emotional pain as a result.

So there's this one guy that I had been dancing with on Friday nights who is a really good dancer. I felt like I was in heaven when I danced with him. Get the picture? We danced to this one song and the moment made a lasting impression.

Well, the same song came on the radio that same weekend, and I started dancing around my condo dreamily. All of the sudden, the building smoke alarm system goes off chirp chirp chirping and snapped me right out of my revelry. It was a rude awakening, you might say.

I knew what it meant immediately."Stop thinking about that guy. You know where it will lead if you go down that path again. Danger, danger." The message was LOUD and CLEAR. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed, but I knew that the message was for my own protection and well-being.

Now you might laugh it off and say it was just a coincidence, but I know when God speaks to me. And there are no coincidences with Him. If you could have been there and heard that alarm go off, it would have scared you smack into obedience too.

Ever had something like this happen to you? What was the message and did you listen or ignore it and what happened then? God is still speaking to us today and He will use any method to get our attention. The question is will we listen and obey, or not.

If you're just getting starting on your spiritual path and would like some helpful information, ask for my free e-guide "7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path" by entering your email address in the box provided. If you enjoyed this post please click the +1 icon and share it with your friends.

Until next time, keep looking up!

Ariel