Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Thursday, August 4, 2016

Ignite the Power Within Step 6: How to Increase Your Personal Power

No matter how well we develop our personal power, there will always be situations that are out of our control that we simply cannot handle on our own. Not to fret, though, because there is a supernatural power available to us if we choose to tap into it. I'm talking about the power of Prayer and it is the third component of disciplining our unruly minds.

Perhaps, like me, you were raised in a family where there was a lot of angst. Worry, anxiety, and fear permeated our home life and I learned to fret about everything. As my desire to grow closer to God increased, I began to pray.

Today, prayer plays an integral part of my daily life. During much of the day, instead of ruminating on my problems, I pray. I lift every issue, every concern, every decision up to God. This is what Thomas a Kempis and Brother Lawrence refer to as "practicing the presence of God". It means an ongoing dialogue with the Lord. It helps keep me focused, centered, and at peace.

When we have problems without solutions - pray.
When we are afraid, worried, or discouraged - pray. When the trials of life overwhelm us - pray.
When the joys of today please us - pray.

Prayer activates the power of God. Never think that God is too busy to listen to your prayers or that He isn't interested. He always has time to listen and his line is never busy. Just as a parent loves to give good things to her children, so it is with God. He is delighted to answer our prayers. However, there is one thing that stays the hand of God. 

When we willfully persist in sin or have unconfessed sins in the heart.  Put another way, when we refuse to walk in obedience to the word of God, He cannot bless us. Deliberate disobedience prevents our prayers from being answered. Until we deal with the issue at hand, we will remain in a "holding pattern" of sorts. God is more interested in our character than our comfort. Like a good parent, He wants to grow us up and mature us. For more on the hindrances to our prayers, read this article.

If your prayers are not being answered, go to God and ask him to reveal to you if there is any issue in your life that needs to be addressed. He will make it very clear. The problem for me is I usually have to have it spelled out in multiple areas of my life before I get the message and then it's like the light bulb goes on and I say "Aha, I think I see a pattern here." As we get more in tune with God, it will become easier to hear what He is saying to us so stay tuned for my next post in this series on learning to listen. 

If you enjoyed this post and would like to receive my bi-weekly posts, enter your email in the box provided. You'll also receive a copy of my free e-guide entitled "7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path" to enjoy and share with a friend.

Until next time, practice your praying and keep looking up!

Ariel