Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

How to Develop an Attitude of Gratitude

November is here and Thanksgiving is only a week away. I love this month for several reasons:
1) it is my birthday month,
2) the trees are so beautiful, and
3) I love celebrating Thanksgiving.


I like to dedicate the entire month to focusing on gratitude. We in this country have so much to be thankful for and so much we take for granted. It is so important to be grateful for all our blessings and to take time to acknowledge them on a daily basis. When we are thankful and cultivate an attitude of gratitude, we also increase our energy and our joy. 

A tradition I started at my house many years ago was to put out a small basket with a pad of paper and a pen next to it. The basket is known as the "Blessing Basket". Each day, each member of the household and whoever comes into the home that day is asked  to write down one thing for which they are grateful for and put it in the basket. It can be anything, but the idea is to focus on the many blessings in our lives on a daily basis. Then on Thanksgiving Day, we read all the slips of paper. They are anonymous of course, but it really makes us realize how much we have been given.

I know I have much to be thankful for: a lovely home, two wonderful sons, and good friends. I am also thankful for the intangibles in my life such as love, joy, peace, kindness, and most of all, faith. I bet if you stop and think about your life, no matter what else may be going on, you have much to be thankful for as well. There will always be negatives in life. The key to keeping our joy is to focus on the positives more than the negatives. This is where faith comes in. We do our part and then we trust God to work out the rest. It's a team effort and God is always on our side.

If you want to increase your gratitude quotient, try starting each and every day by giving thanks for something or someone in your life.  When we learn to develop an "attitude of gratitude", our outlook on life changes and we are better able to handle the difficult circumstances of life.

If you enjoyed this post and would like to receive my bi-weekly blog messages enter your email address in the box provided to the right. I'll also send you out a copy of my free e-guide entitled "7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path". 

Until next time, remember to be a blessing and, as always, keep looking up!

Ariel