Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Thursday, November 17, 2016

How to Strengthen Your Spiritual Muscle

Are you a person of faith or fear? Do you worry about outcomes of situations? Do you get easily overwhelmed when things get out of control? This week I have been contemplating the issue of faith. When it comes down to the core issues and people in your life, how do you respond? Do you see the glass as half full or half empty?

I like to think of faith as our spiritual muscle. Just like our physical muscles, we have to exercise it. The Bible says each of us has been given a measure of faith (Rom 12:3). Like a muscle, we must exercise our faith for it to grow.  In order to live well, it is important to learn to walk by faith and not by sight. In other words, we need to expect good outcomes even before we see them. Faith pleases God because it shows we trust Him to intervene in our lives.


Perhaps like me, you trust God when it comes to some things, but not in others. Do you spend too much time and energy trying to "do" things that please God and not enough time listening, trusting, and believing?  I have worn myself out at different times in my life and by not trusting God to work in others and by trying to do too much in my own strength.

Rom 4:4 says "Abraham believed God and it was credited to him as righteousness." In other words, God sees us as righteous, not because of all our good works, but because of our faith and trust in Him. While I may be thinking I am pleasing God, I am saddened to realize that this does not please God at all. Scripture says that all my good works are like filthy rags (Is.64:6)

Nowadays, I expect a positive outcome even when I don't see it at the present moment. I don't have to know how God is going to work it out. All I have to do is trust that He WILL work it out. It has been a process to change my perspective, but slowly but surely we can all grow our faith. I've heard it said that we get what we expect. What are you expecting?

Faith is a positive expectation of the future. It helps us pull the dreams of tomorrow into today.
If you'd like to have more faith, you can start learning my simple but concrete steps by ordering a copy of my book, "The Power of Faith". While you're at it, order one for a friend. They make great Christmas gifts.

If  you enjoyed this post and would like to receive my bi-weekly posts of inspiration and personal growth, enter your email address in the box provided. I'll also send you out a copy of my free e-guide entitled" 7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path". We're all on this journey together so do share it with a friend or loved one.

Until next time, have a little faith and keep looking up!

Ariel