Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Choose Joy

This is the third sunday of Advent which is dedicated to celebrating joy. As we get closer to Christmas, I light the pink candle on my Advent wreath, which reminds me of the angels singing songs of joy pronouncing the birth of Christ.

When I look around, it seems to me many are stressed out, in a sour mood, or ready to have the holidays done with. I can tell because they are not smiling. Why is that? I know there's a lot to do. I know the weather is freezing cold outside. I know we catch a cold, suffer from allergies, and various and sundry aches and pains. I know work pressures can be extra heavy with year end duties. I know because I am experiencing these same things.


But is any of that a reason to lose our joy? As I gaze upon the soft glow of the pink candle, I am reminded that no matter what is going on around me or in me physically, God is still with me. Emmanuel means "God with us". He promises never to leave me or forsake me, and He is my closest friend. He will take care of everything that concerns me and I can trust that things will all work out for my good. Now that is something to be joyful about!

If you are struggling with the busyness and stress of this season, take a few moments to light a candle of your own. Breathe, relax, and let the tension drain from your mind and body. Perhaps you may want to read your favorite sacred text or a passage or two of scripture to refocus your thoughts. Instead of dwelling on your to do list, give the list to the Lord, and focus on Joy this week. Notice how different you feel. How much lighter. Go ahead and relax. Smile, and let your joy be contagious! They say a smile is the greatest gift we can give to someone and it's free!

If you enjoyed this post and would like to receive my bi-weekly posts, enter your email in the box provided. I'll also send you out a copy of my fee e-guide entitled "7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path" to use or give to a friend. 

Until next time, keep the joy and keep looking up!

Ariel