Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Thursday, December 29, 2016

The Promises of God

The holidays come with a lot of expectations, don't they? Receiving that much wanted gift, spending quality time with loved ones, & enjoying lots of laughter and fun. The reality is that things don't always turn out the way we would like. The expectations we put on ourselves and others can cause undue pressure, stress and conflict. The key is to realize not everyone has the same values and places the same importance on things. My goal this year is to accept circumstances and people as imperfect as they are, the same way Christ accepts me.

Over the years I have learned to put less and less effort into all the hoopla that surrounds Christmas. Yes, I still put up a tree. I still buy and wrap presents and I still bake. Why? Because these simple things are meaningful and joyful to me. But Christmas cards have gone electronic. The house is simply decorated and I limit the number of parties and events I say yes to. Why? Because I want to enjoy the peace and the joy of the season without overburdening myself.

One year, not too long ago, it was only my youngest son and myself together on Christmas Day.  As I settled down to open my gifts, my youngest son points to a large box under the tree.
"That one is for you," he says as he gets out the video camera.
"Now what could this possibly be?" I ask as I dig through the huge pile of styrofoam packing.

To my utter surprise and joy, there in the box were six cups and saucers from my Lenox china pattern I selected when I got married. Somehow when I moved to my new home years ago, the cups and saucers were lost in transit. These six cups and saucers would restore what I had lost and complete the set. As I gazed upon the beauty of a simple china cup, I noticed the name of the pattern -"Promise".

"You know, people may break their promises, but God never does," I said to my son with a quiet peace. "God promises to restore the years the locusts have eaten" (Joel 2:25).

In the same way my beautiful china collection was restored and made complete, know that God is still in the process of restoration and completion in each of us - to make us whole, complete, and like new. Whatever pains, losses and hurts we have endured, God knows about all of them and He is faithful to heal us and make us whole once again.

Just as Christ came to earth as a little child, let us, too, become as little children filled with awe and wonder as we usher in the New Year. Let us let go of any hurts, unforgiveness, and mistakes we may have made and look forward to a new year filled with hope, opportunity and restoration.

Wishing you a wonderful twelve days of Christmas and a happy, healthy and hope-filled New Year!

If you'd like to receive my bi-weekly posts, enter your email address in the box provided. I'll also send you out a copy of my free e-guide entitled "7 Steps to Finding  Your Spiritual Path". We're all on a journey so we might as well travel together.

Until next time, keep looking up!

Ariel