Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Ignite the Power Within Step 2: How to Be Happier Starting Today

Everyone wants to be happy. They've made movies about being happy. Many people say "I'll be happy when...." When the kids get bigger. When I get a new house. When I retire. When I go on vacation. You fill in the blank. The problem is the when is usually a long way off. What about being happy in the meantime? What about being happy today?

As someone who has gone through quite a few turbulent times, I really wanted to be happy despite my circumstances and I gave this concept quite a bit of thought. What does it take for you to be happy? Everything going smoothly in your day? For you to feel healthy and energetic? Does your happiness and contentment depend on how you feel?

To me, being happy is more a state of mind than it is a set of circumstances or a feeling. It means enjoying the present moment, seizing the day, and living life to its fullest. It means being open to whatever presents itself, good or bad, and responding in a loving and compassionate way to myself and others. I don't have to have everything go my way and I don't have to have excitement, thrills, expensive baubles or a date on saturday night to make me happy. As Dale Carnegie once said, "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." As Abraham Lincoln said "People are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."

Today, I'll share 7 tips that will help you change your thinking so you can ignite the power within and use it to transform your life and find more happiness and contentment!


actually when u cant see the worth of this moment then ur life becomes miserable:
Let's face it. Life isn't always a bed of roses. Some pretty nasty stuff can happen. What we need to realize is that being content and living well has more to do with our thinking than it does with our circumstances.

The problem is being content isn't something that comes naturally. The tendency of the human mind is to keep seeking, desiring, wanting something more, or wanting things to be different from what they are.  In Buddhist philosophy, this is known as attachment and craving. In Christianity, Jesus exhorted the rich man to sell all he had and follow Him. He understood the lure and lunacy of attachment.

So how do we alter our thinking so we can be more content? It's a process that  starts with retraining our minds. As the Apostle Paul said "I have learned to be content." (Phil. 4:11). Notice the use of the word "learn". We learn to be content. It is not something that comes naturally to us. The good news is Paul did it. Jesus did it. Buddha did it. Gandhi did it. And so can we.

Here are 7 ways we can change our thinking so we can be more content:

1)  Be more aware of our negative thoughts
2)  Practice gratitude.
3) Appreciate my gifts and who I am as a unique creation
4) Lower my expectations of others and myself
5) Look at the big picture
6) Let go of yesterday
7) Bask in the beauty and love in and around me

Being content is a state of mind and a choice we make day by day, moment by moment. It's sort of like an acceptance of what is. When I start to feel frustrated, I catch myself. "This is not worth getting aggravated about. How can I look at this person/situation with compassion?". We don't have to let the ups and downs of daily life throw us into a tizzy every time. We learn to expect that things will take longer than we'd like, won't go as smooth as we'd like, be more complicated than we expect. When we change our expectations, our frustration level goes way down.  

If you've enjoyed this post, do leave a comment. If you'd like to join our community, enter your email address in the box provided and you'll receive my bi-weekly posts. In addition, you'll receive a copy of my free e-guide entitled "7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path". 

Till the next time when we talk more about igniting the power within and transforming your life!

Enjoy your day and keep looking up!

Ariel