Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

One Thing That Could Be Keeping You From Your Destiny

PROCRASTINATION should be a four-letter word. People don't realize the impact of procrastination. This bad habit keeps us from moving forward in life and from seeing our goals and dreams come true. "Someday I'll..." never comes and in the meantime, we'll be less joyful, less fulfilled, and less excited than we could be. Taking action on our goals and dreams gives us life, energy, and a joie de vivre.

What is it that you have been putting off? Starting that diet or exercise program? Sticking to that budget? Getting your business going? Finishing that degree? Getting serious about your relationship with that special someone?

How many times have we said "Well, I'm not quite ready yet."  Or, "It's not the right time." Or how about "I'm going to think about it for a while." Sound familiar?

I have put off things from time to time or more like taken too long to make a decision. I've missed out on tickets to concerts or events because I was still "thinking about it". What have you missed out on because you were still "thinking about it"? Here's a personal story about commitment.

In my book, "The Power of Faith", I talk about how I felt God was telling me it was time to commit to my church. I had been going to different churches every few months or so, depending on what the sermon series was at the time. I was like a sponge and wanted to soak up as much as I could of God's word and teaching so I'd venture from church to church around town.

But then one day I heard this:

It's time to join the church.

"Lord, am I ready to join the church? What am I getting myself into?"

All sorts of doubts crept into my mind. This is what happens when we are about to commit to something or someone.  I thought my freedom was being taken away until it occurred to me that God just might want to use me at the church. And indeed He did.

I started by becoming a greeter at the door. Then I moved on to being a small group leader at my house. Next I joined the devotional ministry. The possibilities were endless and I was learning all sorts of skills in the process. I didn't lose my freedom. I gained connection and a place to belong and to serve.

But commitment takes confidence. We need to feel a certain comfort level about whatever it is we are about to undertake. If we let those two pesky critters "Doubt" and "Fear" creep into our minds, we will never commit. We imagine all sorts of negative outcomes. And that, my friends, is where Faith comes in.

I have found that having faith to commit to something new is kind of like Peter learning to walk on water. He had absolutely no skills whatsoever to do what Jesus was calling him to do, but what did Peter do? He stepped OUT OF THE BOAT! And He kept his eyes on Jesus, at least for a little while. What happened to Peter and what happens to us is that the minute we take our eyes off Jesus and look at our own abilities, we begin to sink.

What is it that you are longing to do? Are you willing to TAKE A STEP OF FAITH AND GET OUT OF THE BOAT? This means getting out of our comfort zone into the unknown.

I hope this post has encouraged you to take action in some area of your life. You deserve to see your dreams come true but it is up to you to take the first step. You don't have to have the whole process mapped out. All you have to do is take the first step and then the next one and the next one.

If you enjoyed this post and would like to join our community, enter your email address in the box provided. You'll receive my bi-weekly posts and also a copy of my free e-guide, "7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path". 

Stay tuned as we begin the next step on our journey to igniting the power within.

Keep looking up!

 Ariel