Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

One Key to Add More Joy to Your Life

Hard to get out of bed in the morning? Has joy all but disappeared from your life? Still battling the same problems and worries you were 5 - 10 years ago? These are all signs we have lost our joy. So how does this happen?



Joy is related to personal growth. It's been said that aging is inevitable but growth is optional. Personal growth is a choice. It takes intention and action. Growth doesn't happen on its own. It happens when we take intentional steps to learn and try new things.  When we grow, we feel more alive, invigorated, and motivated. We look forward to each new day with enthusiasm and passion. We face problems with confidence and determination. Joy pours out of us like syrup onto pancakes. 

Many times it takes a crisis, a setback, or a loss to push us into something new. We get used to our "rut" and our routines. It's hard to stretch.  As I say in my book, "The Power of Faith", rather than viewing these times negatively, try viewing them as opportunities to grow.

Life is a university and the trials we encounter are vehicles designed to move us forward into our destiny. As John Maxwell says in his book "How Successful People Win", there are two basic reasons for our trials:
1) ignorance
2) stupidity

Either we didn't know better or we knew better and failed to act properly.

Although it doesn't feel that way at the time, tough times are really gifts in disguise. Problems help us to mature if we handle them properly. I would venture to say without tough times, we would grow very little, if at all. The tough times show us what we are made of and what needs to change. Most people resist change because they get cozy with the status quo and it takes effort to change. Like the fruit on my counter, if we stay in the same place long enough eventually we will rot. We were made for more. Here's an example.

We all know people who are divorced. I am one of them. Divorce is ugly and painful and leaves us with deep wounds that take time to heal. We have three choices:

1) we can turn angry, bitter, and resentful, or
2) we can live in denial and pretend we are the innocent victim or
3) we can learn the lessons and grow from the pain;

Only the third is a healthy response. No matter how awful the other party may have been, we always have our part to address and our lessons to learn. If we don't learn the lessons, we are doomed to repeat them with the next partner and the next.

When we go through difficult circumstances we learn more about who we really are. I learned more about who I am and how my past and my parents influenced me. When I had serious health issues, I realized I needed to make changes in my diet and my thinking patterns. We are, after all, body mind, and spirit. When one part of us is hurting, the other parts hurt as well. As author Wayne Dyer says, there is a spiritual solution to every problem and I agree. Our souls are trying to go to the next level.

Growth and change don't always feel good at the time. We may experience "growing pains" as we transition into a new season of life, but let me encourage you by saying this. It's all good. Trials can build character and make us stronger. They can uncover gifts and talents we never knew we had. Growth is good for our souls.

Would you like to feel more joy and energy in your life? If so, try adding something new: a new hobby, a new job, make some new friends. Give it some thought and do post a comment and let me know what you plan to do to bring more joy into your life.

If you enjoyed this article and would like to receive my bi-weekly posts, enter your email address in the box provided. You'll also receive a copy of my free e-guide "7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path". 

Until next time, stay tuned for more on igniting the power within and discovering YOUR destiny!

Keep looking up!

Ariel