Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Ignite the Power Within Step 3: How to Practice Letting Go

Have you ever lost something of value? A piece of jewelry? A relationship? A child? Things and people get taken from us often without our consent. We protest and berate ourselves unecessarily. We complain to God, our friends, our mothers. Why did this happen? Often there is no good answer. Yet there is a better way to handle the loss of something we value and that is to practice letting go.

Letting go means taking on a new perspective, reevaluating my priorities, and most importantly, trusting that God has something better in store for me. Let me share a recent situation that illustrates this point.

Recently, I lost a beloved opal necklace that had been a gift from my favorite uncle. I looked high and low for it - in the house, the car, the garage. It was nowhere to be found. I prayed and prayed to find it and one day I did - crushed to smithereens next to my car.

"Well, at least now I know what happened to it," I said with finality. The unrest I was feeling was gone. There was no more hope of finding the necklace intact and I was at peace. In the same way, we feel unrest when we lose something we value. It could be a relationship, a job, or a pet. Who knows how the necklace fell on the ground? We don't always understand why unfortunate things happen. We don't even have to. The lesson is in the letting go. 

After the emotion of losing the cherished necklace dissipated,  I decided to visit a local jewelry store to see how much a replacement would cost. I found a necklace I liked. The saleswoman quoted me the cost explaining that it was a very good price considering the price of gold these days. Now, I have to tell you that I didn't feel very comfortable spending that much money on jewelry for myself. That's just not something I do personally.

"If you like, you can put a deposit down and think about it," she suggested.

"That's a good idea. I'll do that."

As she looked my name up in her system, she says to me, "You have a credit on your account."

"Really?" I replied, my eyebrows arching in surprise.

After researching a bit, the saleswoman decided to go ahead and discount the necklace to less than half the original price. Now that is the favor of God.

"What a deal," I exclaimed. "I'll take it." Needless to say, I was elated. I now had a replacement for the necklace I had lost. God had given me something better.

And that is exactly what God will do for you, when you let go of whatever is causing you unrest. Trust Him because, like a good good father, He only wants to the best for His children.

In order for God to give us his best, we have to do our part:
1) let go of whatever it is we are holding on to
2) trust God to give us something better 

Beloved, what are you holding on to today? Trust God, let it go, and wait for the Lord to give you the desires of your heart. Remember, "Seek first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness and all these things will be added unto you." (Matt. 6:34)

If you enjoyed this post and would like to join our blog community, enter your email address in the box provided. You'll receive my bi-weekly posts and also a copy of my free e-guide entitled "7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path." 

Until next time, practice looking at letting go with this new perspective and find more peace.

Keep looking up!

Ariel