Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

How to Hear When God Speaks

Ever wake up in the middle of the night? I do. I used to get frustrated by not being able to get my much needed 8 - 9 hours of beauty rest. I'd do anything to try to get back to sleep - get a snack, put relaxing music on, listen to a podcast. Then one night it dawned on me. Could God be trying to talk to me? Hmmmm. 

I surrendered and listened to that still small voice. Some call it intuition. I call it God. Did you know that sometimes when God can't get our attention during the day, he will wake us up at night to talk? If you're married, you've probably experienced this with your spouse a few times so you know what I'm referring to.

So there I am lying in bed wide awake and I hear - not audibly mind you, but inaudibly.
"Go do your nails".





I knew it was God speaking because He usually speaks to me in the form of a command such as "Go" or "Stop".

Now that is an odd thing to hear at 2 am.


I listened again and again the still small voice said
"Go do your nails."


Obedient and groggy, I pushed myself off the bed and made my way to my kitchen where my manicure tools were waiting from the day before. As many of you ladies know, there is quite a process to doing your nails. Guys, bear with me here. You'll see where I'm going with this soon.


First, you smooth out all the ridges and rough spots.
Then, you buff the nails.
Next, you shine them up with one of those handy rectangular things.
Then you apply the polish.
Lastly, you apply the top coat.


Yes, gentlemen, this is what we ladies have to go through in order to have those nice shiny nails many of you adore. I can honestly tell you I have been judged by the condition of my nails. Really!

As I was doing my nails, the realization came to me:
The same process we use on our nails is the same process God uses on us to make us beautiful and shine.


First, He smooths out all the rough edges and removes the spots.
Then, He allows life and circumstances to buff us.
When the buffing process is complete, He shines us up so we are ready to be polished.
Next, He applies the polish - this is the exact color He has for each one of our lives.
Finally He applies the top coat - His protection over us.

Are you having trouble sleeping these days? Could God be speaking to you? Are you willing to listen and obey or do you drown out that still small voice by taking a pill or a sleeping aid? Perhaps we need to be more diligent about taking time during the day to get quiet and listen to God.


Whatever your situation, rest assured God is in control. No matter how bad things might seem, He is still on the throne and His plans will not be thwarted. God has a plan and a purpose for each of us and that plan sometimes takes time to be revealed. In the meantime, we can trust that He is refining us for his perfect purpose. So don't fight your sleepless nights. Listen to that still small voice. You can be sure all will be made clear in time. Remember, we walk by faith and not by sight.

If you enjoyed this post and would like to join our community, enter your email address in the box provided. You'll receive my bi-weekly posts and a copy of my free eguide entitled "7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path".

Stay tuned for more positive and practical wisdom to help you find healing, wholeness, and harmony. 


Until next time, keep looking up!


Ariel Paz

No comments:

Post a Comment