Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Part 4: How to Be More Kind and Compassionate to Others

 I've heard it said we are practicing something all the time. The question is: what? Are we practicing kindness? Compassion? Attentiveness? Or something else? This week I am sharing on the three keys to help us all become kinder, more connected, and more compassionate. 

Becoming more mindful is an intentional process that helps us to identify and eradicate negative thoughts that drag us down the depressive, anxious rabbit hole. It helps us to have more self-compassion and less shame and guilt. Instead of shaming ourselves and others, which shuts down the brain centers responsible for growth and learning, using kindness and curiosity releases chemicals in our brains that turn on these centers of learning. 

Practicing mindfulness also can help us find more happiness and joy in our lives and who doesn't want more of these? According to neuroscientist, Dr. Richard Davidson, "Happiness can be trained because the very structure of our brain can be modified." Turns out you can teach an old dog new tricks. 

This week I'm sharing on the three pillars of mindfulness which are key components to living mindfully. 

1. Intention

Intention helps us identify the "why" behind our actions. It helps us gain clarity on what is truly important to us. Getting really clear on our intention helps us become people of integrity where our actions align with our hearts and our values. Another word for intention might be motivation. Intention helps us reconnect with how we truly want to respond. Simply setting an intention for the day can help us feel happier, more connected, more patient. 

2. Attention

Focus on the present moment by avoiding distractions such as being a slave to your phone or mindlessly watching the boob tube or playing video games. I've heard it said that time is our most valuable commodity but I believe our attention - our presence - is the best gift we can give to an adult, a child, and even a pet. As I used to say to my class when I was a yoga instructor "Today is a gift. That is why they call it the present." And the present moment is truly a gift, never to be had again. 

Multi-tasking is not all it is cracked up to be. I used to pride myself on being a multi-tasker and now, I pride myself on staying present and focused. My, how times change. 

3. Attitude 

Ah, attitude. In this case, the how of mindfulness. The key here is to have an attitude of kindness, curiosity and unconditional love instead of shutting down, imploding or exploding. A good counselor uses these when working with clients. Let go of judgement. Be kind if your mind wanders which is does like 47% of the time. Be curious when it jumps to the past or the future. Stop the self-loathing thoughts and replace them with loving thoughts. Remember, we are all doing the best we can. 

For more on this topic, check out "Good Morning, I love you" by Dr. Shauna Shapiro. 

For Reflection

These three items are the foundation for living a mindful, compassionate life. They work in tandem with each other and can be practiced individually. Which pillar will you address first? Which do you have the most problem with? I'll go first. I need to work on attitude - being more kind and curious both to myself and with others who are not so kind. There, now that wasn't so hard was it:)

If this post was helpful, do share it with a friend, leave a comment or two. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this series. And also, consider joining our community by entering your email address in the box provided. You'll receive my weekly posts and a copy of my free eguide "7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path". And do check out all my offerings on Pinterest. 

Stay tuned for more on mindfulness and living in the present moment. 

Until next time, 

Keep looking up!

Ariel Paz 




No comments:

Post a Comment