Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Are You Happy Now?

"I will be happy when the kids grow up." "I will be happy when I lose 10 pounds." "I will be happy when I retire." "I will be happy when I find a partner." "I will be happy when I earn x$".

Ever hear yourself saying something like this? We are expecting some external circumstance to make us happy. The truth of the matter is that we really don't need ANYTHING to make us happy. Happiness is a mental state of mind that we CHOOSE. As long as we structure our lives on something we cannot control, we will experience pain and unhappiness.

Things will never be totally perfect in our lives. There will always be some area, some relationship, some problem that needs attention. The key, I think, is to not dwell on what is wrong with my life, but what is good in it. Today I went for a walk, took a dip in the pool, and had a nice lunch. These simple pleasures give me great happiness and I am thankful for them all.

Abraham Lincoln once said " People are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." Life is too short. Today, will you make a choice to be happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment