Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Power of Words

Ever think about the words you use on a daily basis? See if you can catch yourself using the same words or expressions and then think about how they impact your mental state or that of a loved one. Our words can build up or tear down. The words we speak to others and to ourselves have more power than most of us realize.

Imagine if you meant to say to your son or daughter "What's bothering you?" but instead you said "What's wrong with you?" Think of the impact that would make on them.

In his book, Awaken the Giant, Anthony Robbins talks about changing the words we use to describe our feelings to either diminish negative feelings or intensify positive feelings. For example, instead of saying, "I am angry" he suggests toning it down by saying "I am peeved". Instead of "I am anxious" say "I am a little concerned." To increase our positive feelings, try "I am fabulous", "I am captivated", or "I relish the idea" instead of "I'm okay", "I'm interested" or "I like." Notice the difference?

Proverbs 18:21 says "There is life or death in the power of the tongue". James 1:19 implores us to be "Quick to listen and slow to speak." My mom used to say "Think before you speak."

What words are you speaking to those you love? Are they words of encouragement and edification? I know I can use some work in this area. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment