Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

God Still Speaks

What do you do when you are faced with a challenging situation that is out of your control? Do you pick up the phone and call your friends? Run to your spouse if you have one? Do you fret, worry and talk about it every day? These are typical reactions to stressful situations, but there is a better way to manage them. Today I'm going to share a personal story about the power of prayer.

The weather channel was predicting thunderstorms, heavy rain, and high winds. I don't like to drive in inclement weather but I had an important appointment that I needed to make that was over an hour's drive away. I would be driving smack in the middle of rush hour traffic. I debated about cancelling and rescheduling but was advised to keep the appointment which was somewhat of a legal nature. After much back and forth, I decided to keep the appointment and trust God to get me there and back safely. I have learned there is power in prayer so I sent one up that went something like this:

Lord, you know I don't like to drive when the weather is bad. Please don't let it rain on my drive to this appointment. Please keep me safe and help me get home safely. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen

A short while later, I was on Twitter, which as you may know is a social media network. People post all kinds of photos, quotes, and links to articles. The feed is so fast and so populated, you only see a portion of what is actually posted. Lo and behold, a tweet comes across that said.

"He will give his angels charge over you and protect you wherever you go" (Ps 91:11).

I sat there stunned. I felt like God was talking directly to me through Twitter, of all things. A wave of peace and assurance immediately came over me. I knew God was giving me confirmation of His protection. Wow, God is on social media!

The next morning, my alarm went off way too early at 6:30 am. It was dark and I listened for the sound of thunderstorms but heard nothing outside my window. As I exited the covered garage, I was prepared for the windshield wipers to go on. Nothing. It was cloudy, but no rain. Another whispered "Thank, you, Lord" and drove onto the highway.

Then the rain started.
"Uh oh," I thought. Again, I asked God to not let it rain. Persistence is one of my character traits.

Although it took me almost 2 hours to get to my destination, the rain kept to a light sprinkle the entire time. No heavy winds. No thunderstorms. On the way home, again, light sprinkles only. I arrived in my neighborhood in good time and decided to treat myself to lunch at a Mexican restaurant I had been wanting to try. When I came out of the restaurant, it was pouring down rain. I had no umbrella with me yet I was ecstatic.

"Thank you, Lord, for holding off the rain for me this morning," as I ran to my car.

That evening, the weather guy on the evening news commented on how the weather pattern expected in the early morning hours had been delayed until the later afternoon.

All I can say is how thankful I was that it didn't thunderstorm. I believe God heard my prayers and answered them. There probably were a lot of other people who were thankful the weather held off too. Now you can say whatever you want, but I believe in the power of prayer. There are so many other stories I could share with you. If you would like to read them, check out my book "The Power of Faith: a journey to healing, wholeness, and harmony."


Do you make use of the power of prayer? When have you seen it work in your life? Drop me a note and share with us. People need to know that God hears our prayers.

If you'd like a copy of my free e-guide entitled "7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path, enter your email address in the box provided.

Until next time, keep looking up!

Ariel












No comments:

Post a Comment