Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Thursday, June 14, 2018

The Importance of Discovering Your Destiny

Do you feel unfulfilled? Working at a job to make a salary but that doesn't stir your soul? Are you living for the weekends? Are you in a career because it just came along? It's never too late to discover your destiny and today that is what we're going to talk about.

As someone who got side-tracked in life by well-meaning individuals, I know what it is like to be working hard at a job that doesn't fulfill you. As a young college student with a knack for foreign languages, my dream was to become an interpreter and move to New York to work for the United Nations. Then I got married, and detoured into the computer science field. Now I have to say, computer science was not my thing. At all! I kept saying "My brain doesn't work this way", but I forced myself to learn how to program and spent the next 33 years of my life wracking my brain to figure out complex logic problems, a slave to the desk and the computer screen. One of my doctors once asked me what I did for a living and I told him I was a software engineer. He said "Well, you certainly don't look like one. You look like one of those creative types to me".

When we put ourselves into a position that is not right for us, we add more stress to our lives and eventually it takes a toll. I was a single mom of two boys which sure was no picnic either, especially when there was so much dysfunction that had to be resolved. Then when my sons were grown and out of the house, someone suggested I write a book, so I began to write and the rest is history.

Writing is what I feel called to do. I feel like I just have to get this stuff out. In the process, I feel like I am doing my part to help others and also to leave a legacy. I've learned some things along my journey and if these blog posts and my books can help prevent you from making the mistakes I made, I will have made a contribution.

So, I share all this to encourage you to listen to yourself. Not your mother. Not your significant other. Stay true to who YOU are and what you are gifted at and enjoy. It's your life at stake, not theirs. The key, as motivational speaker and author, John Maxwell says, is to focus on your strengths. Put more of your effort into using them and you will be successful. Some talents may lie dormant for years, but eventually they will surface.

I know it's hard to decide what path to take in life, so look at your giftings. What do you enjoy doing? What comes easily to you? What do you envision yourself doing? Can you make a decent income from it? These are all important questions to ask ourselves if we want to discover our destiny and be truly fulfilled. It is not enough to just make a salary.

No matter what age you are, it is never too late to discover your destiny. When you are living a life of purpose and productivity, you will be filled with joy. Time seems to go by as you are immersed in the present moment. You are fully alive. I think it is a cornerstone of being content as an individual when we find what we were meant to do.

Now don't let that ugly word, fear, hold you back. Don't let doubts hold you back. If there is something stirring in your soul that you keep thinking about, God put it there for a reason. You might not know the end result, but He does. Trust that your destiny is ultimately in God's capable hands and he is guiding you. Take action and do what you need to do to move towards your vision. I knew absolutely nothing about writing but began taking classes and going to conferences, and now I can confidently say "I am a writer" and it feels great!

What dream is inside you? What would you love to be doing? What is holding you back? Today is the day to take a step of faith towards that dream.

If you enjoyed this post, join our blog community and enter your email address in the box provided. You'll receive my positive and practical bi-weekly posts and a copy of my free eguide "7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path".

Stay tuned for more tips on how to ignite the power within and discover YOUR destiny!

Until next time, keep looking up!

Ariel Paz 


No comments:

Post a Comment