Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Finding Calm in a World of Chaos

Do you yearn for more peace in your life? Are the events of the world making you even more anxious? Life is full of peace-stealers and they come in a variety of forms. Today I'm sharing on this oh so important topic because peace is priceless.


How we lose our peace 
Stressful situations come at us unexpectedly. Some we bring them on ourselves and some are caused by other people. Our thoughts go off on worst case scenarios. Adrenaline shoots through our veins. Then we react or rather we over-react. Boom. We've just lost our peace. 

What is the igniting factor here? The thoughts we think in the moment, right? 

The key to staying calm is to be aware of our thoughts in the moment. I've read like 60 or 80 thousand thoughts pass through our minds during the course of a day.  It is easy to get stuck ruminating on problems and difficult situations but there are some things we can do to take back control of our minds and sleep better at night. 

1. Work on slowing down 
Now I know this is not the mantra of our society.  At least in the United States, it's more of a "Get it done yesterday" "I've got so much to do"  mentality. This may be productive in some ways but not in others. In fact, doing too much during the day can cause us to have restless nights. Even the Bible cautions us about doing too much during the day and not resting enough. Slowing down helps us to be more aware of our thoughts.

2. Practice meditation. 
Meditation in one sense means clearing the mind. Some people may poo poo this idea, but the mind, just like our computers needs to be cleaned of all its junk files, viruses, and cookies. Stuff accumulates and meditation helps us to reset, recalibrate, and refocus. If you want to learn more about it, enter the word "meditation" in the search bar. 

3. Give yourself the gift of solitude.
I don't know about you, but when I am around other people I find it harder to stay centered. I have to really watch what comes out of my mouth and how I react/respond to what other people say and do. By solitude, I mean no computers, no smart phone, no music. Just quiet. Some people have a hard time with quiet, but it is really a great way to get in touch with our thoughts and feelings. If we aren't aware of what we are thinking we are at the mercy of our monkey minds.

4. Replace negative thoughts
Scripture says to think on things that are "just, excellent, noble, pure, of good report". In other words, we are not to dwell on the bad things that happen. We are to dwell - say dwell - on positive, uplifting thoughts. Did you know the brain has a bias towards negativity? This is why we have to make an effort to think faith-filled thoughts. 

5. Get to Know the true source of Peace. 
In times of great distress, did you know you have a supernatural power to assist you? I admit, I often forget, but it works every time. It's a secret only a select few know about and I'm going to let you in on it.

The true source of Peace is only found in the person of Jesus Christ. Now, you may or may not believe in Jesus, but I can tell you there is power - supernatural power - in calling on the name of Jesus. When all else fails and I am at my wit's end, I call on the name of Jesus. It is amazing. I feel an immediate change in myself and in the stratosphere. I don't know how it works, but I do know it works. Give it a try next time you feel really stressed out. 

So there you have it - 5 practical steps to achieving more calm in a world of chaos. 

For Reflection 
Your homework is to stop and ask yourself this question several times a day for the next few days: "What am I thinking about right now?" If you find yourself obsessing over something, you're expending useless energy. Stop and replace it with a prayer. Guaranteed to work. What we can choose what we think about. 

If you enjoyed this post and would like to join our community, enter your email address in the box provided. You'll receive my weekly posts plus a copy of my free e-guide entitled "7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path". If you are already a member, pass this along to a friend who might need it. 

In the meantime, stay tuned for more on igniting the power within and discovering YOUR DESTINY!

Ariel Paz






1 comment:

  1. Excellent. I've been taking a verse for about a week and meditating on it. Is a good practice

    ReplyDelete