Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Saturday, May 5, 2012

You Have the Power to Change

Just like the highways around here, I'm a work in progress. How about you? Seems like there is always something to repair, reconstruct, or rebuild. Every time I go through a tough phase, I learn there is something I need to change.

I was talking about our fears and anxieties last time. We all have them, right? But they affect us in different ways. Some of us overeat. Some drink, gamble, work to excess, are afraid to commit to a relationship, or have some addictive habit or behavior to name a few. Others of us are into pleasing, performing, and perfectionism. Many have a problem with responsibility and authority. Sound familiar at all?

Now, don't get down on yourself. It's a good thing when we become aware of the negative behaviors and thought patterns that control us. Awareness is the first step to change. When we shine the light of truth on ourselves, we are able to see ourselves and the problem more clearly.

The first thing we can do to break out of any bondage we may be in is to become more aware. This involves slowing down enough to focus on my behavior patterns and the thoughts and feelings that accompany them.

Let's look at over-eating for example. I know I still struggle with it at times. When do I over-eat? How do I feel? What are the thoughts in my mind? What is going on in my life at the time? What am I afraid of? All of these are indicators like warning signs along the road of spiritual and personal growth to guide me along my journey to healing, wholeness, and harmony.

What are you struggling with today? Fret not, and don't think you have to lean on your own will-power. Instead, lean on God. It is by his grace and through his power that we are able to overcome the obstacles in our path. 2 Corinthians 12:19 says "My grace is sufficient for you". Hang on to that promise and you will be victorious no matter what you are facing. God always keeps his promises.

Until next time, keep the faith and keep looking up!

Ariel