Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Tuesday, April 11, 2023

6 Ways to Stay Positive in a Negative World - Part 1

The world thrives on negativity. I'm sure you have noticed. The media gets our attention with sensationalism, focusing on the latest disasters, crimes, and bad news. This is what draws viewers. If we are not careful, these events will consume our thoughts and our conversations. But there is a remedy and today I am sharing 6 tips on how to stay positive in a world of negativity. 

The list of things that can steal our peace and our joy goes on and on, if we let it. And that, friends, is the key. We have to make a conscious choice to filter out the negative if we are going to protect our peace, joy and our energy so this week I am sharing the first 3 tips to help us all stay positive, energetic, and productive because the joy of the Lord is indeed our strength.  

                                   
                                                                     


1. Stop and smell the Roses

It was a bright and sun-shiny day and I was  taking my daily walk. I spotted an inviting rocking chair for sale at my local Wegman's and decided to try it out for a few minutes. As I rocked slowly back and forth, the calming motion of the rocker combined with the bright sunshine made me feel that all was right with the world  those few minutes.  People smiled at me as they walked by observing my contented state. 

"Ah, it doesn't get any better than this," I thought. As I watched the shoppers come and go, I almost felt a tinge of guilt taking time out to just slow down and relax.  After a few minutes of rocking, I resumed my walk, but with a noticeable pep in my step. Like the spring buds, joy had sprung forth in those few minutes. Sometimes all we have to do is slow down, get outside, and get quiet to let go of the cares of the day. The world will keep running on it's rat wheel but we don't have to run with it.

2. Stop Complaining
Many people like to complain. They complain about the weather, their spouse, the health care system, politics, their aches and pains, ya da ya da ya da. We can always find something to complain about but what's the point? Complaining only gives life and energy to that which annoys us and makes us relive it one more time. It's easy to fall into this pattern when we hang around with complainers.

Now, I am not saying deny reality or be a pollyanna. We do have to deal with situations that are unpleasant, that is for sure. But, do we have to dwell on them? Over and over and over? It's bad enough we have to live them one time, but to talk about it again and again only makes us more miserable. Instead of complaining, why not do something about the situation if you can? If you can't do something to change the situation or if it is something that happened yesterday, last week, or ten years ago, let it go. Stop reliving it. When we rehash negative situations, we steal the joy from the present moment. 

3. Limit exposure to negativity 
This includes the news as well as other people. Some people thrive on debating the topics of the world or rehashing some negative event. I don't. I keep informed but I don't want to be glued to the boob tube and its drama every single day. It is entirely too draining. Then I don't sleep well at night and wake up exhausted. Is it really worth it?  Negativity is all around us and we have to set boundaries on who and what we allow into our energetic space. 

For Reflection
Who are you around that is negative? Draining? What can you do to limit your exposure? Write and let us know what you try. 

As for me, I like to remember the verse from the letter to the Philippians that encourages me to think on things that are pure, noble, and of good report. The Apostle Paul was whipped, beaten, scourged, imprisoned, and thrown overboard. Talk about a tough life. Yet Paul learned the secret to maintaining joy. In fact, he exhorts us multiple times to rejoice! When we lose our joy, we lose our strength.

If you enjoyed this post, consider joining our community by entering your email in the box aboce. You'll receive my weekly posts plus a copy of my free e-guide entitled "7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path". Check out my offerings on Pinterest and my newest ebook "Take Back Your Life: 5 Keys to Reclaiming Your Personal Power" available at your favorite online bookstore. 

Stay tuned for part two on this topic next week to help you ignite the power within and discover YOUR destiny!

Until next time, keep smiling and keep looking up!

Ariel Paz


2 comments:

  1. Ariel
    Such great advice regarding saying focussed on what you're dwelling on and if it's persistent and negative to challenge it and change your thought pattern. I'm trying to do this in my own life.
    As you mentioned, Paul instructs us to focus on what is lovely, pure, noble etc and flee from whatever would grieve the Holy Spirit. Such things might be R rated movies and perhaps many other tv and radio broadcasts. Perhaps the season is over for certain friendships. Just because something is out there and available doesn't mean it's a good thing. Focus on Gods blessings and favor. He loves to give His children good gifts. Now, if we would only open our eyes we would see more clearly and know He is there.
    Blessings today and always,
    Barbie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbie, I don't think I saw this comment from you. Yup, it is a conscious decision to stay positive and joy-filled despite our circumstances. Hope you are doing well and thanks for the comment! Keep looking up!

      Delete