Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Tuesday, August 29, 2023

The Importance of Right Speech

Words. Words are critical for clear communication. Using the correct words help us in our relationships both business and personal. How many times have you heard "That's not what I meant"? Or someone gets mad because they heard you say something that didn't say? What about people who don't keep their word? This week I'm sharing on the importance of right speech. 

Right speech is a concept that refers to speaking the truth, refraining from lying and deceiving others, being reliable with your word, refraining from gossip, and communicating clearly. This concept is a cornerstone in most major spiritual traditions including Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Toltec wisdom, to name a few.

Today we are going to focus on being reliable with your word. Since this blog is about wholeness and destiny, being reliable with our word is a key to being a person of integrity, which in turn is pivotal in moving forward into our destiny!


Personal Stories
A new friend and I had made plans to together for lunch. I asked her to touch base to confirm later on in the week as I have learned it's best to make sure both parties are still able to meet and nothing has come up. I never heard from this new friend to confirm. So on the day of the event, I texted her early. No reply. Later, she texts me and says "I'm here". When I arrived at the restaurant, she says "If I say I'm going to be someplace, I will be there", with a tone. Fast forward to the next weekend. Again, we had made plans earlier in the week and she left it with "See you then," as if to confirm. Well, guess what? On the morning of the event, I receive a text from her with an excuse why she had to cancel. Hello? I had to chuckle. 

Another acquaintance said this weekend, "I'll definitely be there". At the agreed upon time we were supposed to meet, I get a text from her with an excuse cancelling. 

Then we have the contractors who say "We'll be there Friday around lunch," and never show up. What gives?

It seems many people do not care about keeping their word these days. Now, don't misunderstand, I do realize things come up, but most of the time it's not last minute. And then we wonder why the world is in the state it's in. 

Keeping our word does matter. Our words are powerful. They have the ability to create or to destroy. They have the ability to bring us peace or suffering. They can make or break a  relationship. As author, Don Miguel Ruiz, puts it in his life-changing book entitled "The Four Agreements",

The First Agreement – BE IMPECCABLE WITH YOUR WORD

Speak with integrity and say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.
Did you know the word "impeccable" comes from the latin words that mean "without sin"? Our words should be impeccable. But how many of us even realize the harm we do with our words? I had another long-time girlfriend that I entrusted a private matter to and asked her to keep it confidential. Sadly, she blabbed it to her entire family and when I confronted her about it, she got defensive and angry. She not only shared my personal story, she broke the trust I had in her, and destroyed our relationship because she could not accept responsibility for her actions. 

For Reflection
Are you impeccable with your word to yourself? When you say you are going to exercise, for example, do you?  Or do you give yourself an excuse? When you promise to yourself you are going to drink less, spend less, or whatever, do it! Be impeccable with your word not only to others, but to yourself and see how much more empowered you feel.

If you enjoyed this post and would like to join our community, enter your email address in the box provided. You'll receive my weekly posts plus a copy of my free eguide, "7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path". 

If you'd like some new reading material, check out my books available from your favorite bookseller including Amazon, Apple, and Barnes and Noble, to name but a few. If you like to cook, or just want some new recipes, order your copy of my Mediterranean Mom's cookbook. Simply use Zelle or Paypal to email $25.99 and you'll receive your digital copy chock full of delicous recipes including gluten-free, paleo, keto, as well as ethnic. You're gonna love it! Use pattiel1108@gmail.com to purchase.  
                                

New Book Coming Out Soon!
So excited to share that my new book entitled "Ignite the Power Within" will be coming out soon. Once again, it is in ebook format but I will take orders for paperback copies. 

Stay tuned for more positive, practical and powerful wisdom on how to ignite the power within and discover YOUR destiny!

Until next time, keep looking up!


Ariel Paz 


No comments:

Post a Comment