Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Tuesday, November 16, 2021

How to Call in Financial Abundance

Are you strugggling financially? Barely making ends meet? Maybe you've lost your job or your business is not going so well. Or maybe you wish you had more money to travel, buy a nicer car, get out of debt. As a single mom who has been through bankruptcy, and was in debt for years after an ugly divorce, I can testify that financial freedom is possible, whatever situation you are currently in. Today I am sharing a key principle to moving forward into financial freedom and abundance.  
                   


Learn to be Odedient
While visiting Houston years ago, I had the opportunity to see how animals learn obedience. The bird trainer came out with a macaw on her hand. Placing the brightly colored bird on its stand, she had the bird's full attention. Certain gestures of hers told the bird to lift its claw, wave, give her a kiss, flap its wings and perform a variety of assorted antics and tricks. The macaw's name was Louis and his reward was an unshelled nut which he pecked open with his sharp beak in great delight.

One thing I noticed was how intently the trainer gazed into the eyes of the macaw. Her eyes never left his and vice versa. The bond they had established was obvious.

"It takes years to train these birds," she explained.
"How long do they live?" I asked.
"Most live till they are in their 80s," the trainer replied.
"About as long as a human - interesting."

In a similar way, we humans learn obedience. From the time we are infants, our parents teach us how to obey and we receive rewards for doing so. Then we move on to adulthood and God takes over the training. Just as it pleases parents when their children are obedient, so it pleases God when we are obedient. 

Personal Story 
When I was married, we had to declare bankruptcy - on my birthday - because my then husband lost his job and we had purchased a huge parcel of land that we could no longer afford. We sold the land at auction and had to repay creditors for 7 long years. The financial stress was the breaking point of our marriage and I ended up in my worst nightmare - a single mom raising two young boys. As a result, I kept a tight rein on my expenses. I didn't buy the latest and greatest of anything. I shopped at Walmart and drove an old car. I didn't buy designer fashion or extravagant jewelry. But I was obedient.

Every January when the pastor at church would talk about finances and tithing, I would ask God how much I should give that year. Giving to the church was always a stretch, but I was faithful and so was God. He always provided for everything we needed: braces for both my youngest son and I, soccer uniforms & cleats for the boys, sports equipment & musical instruments for my sons, even family vacations at the beach. It all started with one decision: to be obedient. 

Trust the Promises of God

Many people have a scarcity mentality, holding onto and hoarding material possessions. Others do not know or trust the promises of God. God says this about giving: "Test me in this. Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse and I will pour out the windows of heaven blessing after blessing" (Mal. 3:10). I am living proof that God keeps his promises.

For those who are unfamiliar, a tithe is the first 10 percent of our income. And yes, it is an old Testament commandment but it still works today. We are not to spend every red cent we make. We are to live below our means, not above so we can save for a rainy day and help others who are less fortunate. 

Start small. Buy someone's meal. Pack a Christmas shoebox for a poor child. Volunteer at a shelter. There are a million ways to give. Before you know it, you will move forward financially and be able to give more and more. I have sponsored a child in a third world country for 20+ years and she is now attending college, studying to become a nurse. I also have set up a scholarship for students from single mom homes to go to college. Next month, my mortgage will be paid off and I will be debt-free. It boggles my mind what God has done in my life since I started being obedient and tithing. 

For Reflection
Have you learned to obey God? When you hear that still small voice that says "Slow down", "Pay your bills", "Go exercise", "Call your mother," "Wear your mask?" do you listen? More importantly, do you obey? These are simple yet important acts that God watches. He is waiting to see if we can be trusted with the little things so he can entrust us with bigger things. 

If you want to see more abundance in your life, may I encourage you to practice obedience. Nothing pleases the Lord more than immediate obedience. We all know the phrase "Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today". What is it that the Lord is calling you to do today? What have you been putting off? We will not move forward until we have obeyed what he has already asked us to do.

If you enjoyed this post, join our community and enter your email address in the box provided. You'll receive my weekly posts plus a copy of my free eguide "7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path". 

Stay tuned for more positive and practical wisdom. Love to hear your thoughts on this important topic and do share with a friend.

Until next time, keep looking up!

Ariel Paz 



No comments:

Post a Comment