Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Tuesday, October 31, 2023

How to Live in Peace in an Anxious World

Staying at peace is a challenge, no matter what season of life we are in. Responsibilities, commitments, problems, world events, all add up to stress and anxiety. But there are things we can do to have more inner peace and less turmoil despite our tumultuous circumstances. Today's post is about what we can do to enjoy more peace and stay centered despite what may be going on in our lives and in the world around us.

The pull of the world and all it's distractions and problems as well as dealing with daily life and all our emotions can cause us to be off-center, stressed, and anxious. Then we turn outward for temporary soothing from activities, subdstances, or distractions but the real key to inner peace is to turn inward. As a busy single working mom, I learned that developing my spiritual life was key to being able to manage my busy personal, business, and social lives. 


We maintain our homes, our cars, our computers, our bodies, but what about our spiritual lives? Do we make time to nurture that? Like exercise, it is crucial to a healthy and well-balanced life. When we are spiritually grounded, we are more able to handle the storms that come at us often out of the blue. 

Brother Lawrence was a Carmelite monk who lived in the 17th century. His famous book, "The Practice of the Presence of God" is a collection of letters and conversations on a simple and pure way to connect with God. Brother Lawrence lived in continual communication with God, no matter what he was doing and so can we. Give it a read sometime. 

In the same way that conversation is critical to maintaining human relationships, speaking to God is critical to maintaining our relationship with the Divine. Here are some things I do to help me stay connected and I know they will help you too:

1. Start the day with gratitude.
Before I even get out of bed, I take a few deep calming breaths to center myself. Then I give thanks for the new day and ask God to direct my thoughts and my steps. I give thanks to God in advance for taking care of anything that is on my mind or that I will face that day. I say my morning prayers and then I get out of bed ready to face the day with confidence, strength, and joy. It's a mental habit I've established over the years and it works well. How we start our day determines how our day will go and how we will handle the challenges that arise. 

The tendency for many of us is to jump out of bed thinking about all our problems, to-dos, emails, etc. No wonder we want to hit the snooze button and pull the covers over our heads. The tasks of the day or week can feel daunting, but we must remember we are not in this alone. 

By changing our morning thought patterns, we reprogram our minds to focus on God's presence, provision and power in our lives. This brings us peace which ultimately gives us the strength and the courage to meet the challenges of the day.

2. Remember that God is in control.
A lot of anxiety comes from dwelling on things that are out of our control - world events, pandemics, the elections, what other people say or do. It is important to recognize what we can and cannot control. I was just talking to my mom about this. She's been so frustrated the past few years and I couldn't understand why. Then the light bulb went on. 
"I know what's going on, " I said. 
"Yeah, what?" Mom asked. 
"You're losing control of stuff and so you are trying to control other stuff to compensate. You're frustrated because you are trying to control situations that are out of your control."
"You're so smart," she replied sarcastically. 
Taking a deep breath, I said "It's true. You can't control when they deliver your meals. You can't control when the repair guy will come to fix the leak. You're frustrated over things that are out of your control."
All of the sudden the tone of her voice completely changed. 
"You're right," she said meekly. 
"Ma, it's natural but we all have to learn to let go of control at some point. And the truth of the matter is, we really don't have control over very much at all." 
It was a breakthrough for both of us.

Remember that nothing happens without God's permission and that God is working all things out for our good in the long run. So much stress can be reduced by changing our perspective and learning to trust more and stress less. God knows what we will have to face in any given day and he gives us the grace - say Grace - to manage it calmly and confidently. 

3. Take a breath break. 
This is a discipline I am trying to incorporate on a daily basis. Just sit down and breathe. Slowing down our breathing slows down our minds and bodies. It helps us to recalibrate. 
When I feel that "rat wheel" pull or feel anxious about some matter or situation,  I immediately start to pray or if I can, sit down and meditate. I've also incorporated tapping, or EFT, to handle difficult emotions and process what I am feeling in the moment instead of ignoring it. When we sit down to breath, we conciously recenter ourselves. 

The pull of busyness is an insidious force that can exhaust us so we don't have the patience or the energy to be the kind, loving, patient people we desire to be. As a single mom, I had the tendency to go go go because I always had so much on me and little help, but then I realized I had to pace myself at work so I would have energy left to deal with my boys at the end of a hard work day. 

4. Talk to God during the day.
This is something Brother Lawrence did all thru his day. We can talk to God anytime, anyplace. That is what is so great. The problem is we rarely think about it because our minds are so preoccupied with everything else. It is a habit we develop, just like talking to our spouse or significant other. I have learned to take a pause break after each activity, instead of rushing right from one thing to another on auto-pilot. I go for a walk, have a cup of tea, or just pause to breath. I ask God what should I do next and then I listen. We need to keep the lines of communication open. God delights in hearing from his children and not just on Sunday mornings or when there is a crisis. 

5. Do something kind for someone else. 
When we take our minds off ourselves and our problems, this allows God to step in and assist. When we are constantly thinking about what is next on our agenda or worrying about stuff, God takes a seat and says "Go ahead. Knock yourself out". God wants to help us. Sometimes we just have to hand it over, and go help somebody else. Last week, for example, I was feeling frustrated dealing with two laptops that both have major problems, a faulty new dryer, some unknown stomach pains and software issues with OneDrive and Office. What did I do? I picked up the phone and called my elderly mother in Texas and helped her with some of her financial concerns. I felt better and so did she. When you are at wit's end, stop, and reach out to be a blessing to someone else. There is always someone in need of a call, a smile, a word of encouragement, a card or a gift. Just listen to the gentle inner prompting and you'll be surprised at what you'll hear. 

6. Call on Jesus 
Now we all like to think we can handle everything ourselves. But - some things require the supernatural hand of God. It's when you feel like throwing up your hands in resignation. When things seem insurmountable and you don't know what to do next, there is a simple act we can do and that is call on Jesus. I've learned there is great power in simply uttering name of Jesus. "Jesus, help me." is a powerful plea. Try it and see. Immediate peace will flood your being. Jesus is the next level of connection with God. Jesus is peace. Real peace. Peace you cannot get from the world. 

For reflection
So how do you start your day? Do you take time to pause, to breathe and to pray during the day? Which of these tips can you implement this week? If you, too, would like a deeper sense of God's presence in your life, join me in these simple steps. Write and let me know if you notice a difference in your day.

If you enjoyed this post and would like to join our community, enter your email address in the box provided. You'll receive my free eguide entitled "7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path". You'll also receive my weekly posts to encourage and inspire you. Also, I am so excited to share that my newest book, "Take Back Your Life: 5 Keys to Reclaiming Your Personal Power"is available on Amazon, BarnesandNoble.com and Apple Books. If you struggle with time management, this short book will put it all in perspective for you. Download it today and take back YOUR life!  

Stay tuned for more positive and practical wisdom to help you ignite the power within and find healing, wholeness, and harmony too!

Until next time, keep looking up!

Ariel Paz 

No comments:

Post a Comment