Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Tuesday, December 19, 2023

7 Tips to Keep You Jolly This Season

How is your Advent going this year? Are you feeling less than joyful? Too many demands and not enough of you to go round? I think most of us feel this way at year end with so many tasks to attend to, deadlines, ya da ya da. In this week's post I'm sharing some tips on how to keep our joy despite the frenzy of activity going on. 


At this time of year, it is easy to get overly committed, overly tired, and overly stressed but we don't have to allow these things to get to us. So today, I am offering some tips on how to maintain our joy during this hectic December season.  

Choose Your Focus 
So many things to distract us - from healthcare decisions, to financial decisions, to gift-giving decisions. Like Santa's, our list seems endless. The key is FOCUS.

To reset my focus, I use the Advent wreath. As we get closer to Christmas, I light the pink candle. Besides being one of my favorite colors, pink signifies joy and unconditional love. I have a rose quartz pendant I often wear to remind me I am loved unconditionally, even when I sometimes don't feel it so this week I am sharing my tips on how to maintain joy when it seems circumstances are conspiring to steal it from us. 

Despite our circumstances, it is possible to maintain our joy, because joy is both a gift and a choice.

Be Conscious
Whatever comes up in a day, we have to ask ourselves "Is this worth losing my joy over?" The answer is always NO. Joy is what makes us feel alive, energetic, and productive. Without joy, we are like robots, going about our daily business on auto-pilot. We are not motivated to pursue our destinies or our dreams. Think of Ebenezer Scrooge. Now there was a man with no joy. Until he found Christmas.  You can tell if someone has joy just by looking at their face and who wants to live like that?

So here are some tips and reminders to help us all keep our joy this season.

1. Take care of your health. 
Nothing stinks like getting sick, especially around the holidays, so take extra precautions this time of year. Get enough sleep. Drink enough water. Wash your hands. Put on a humidifier to moisten the dry air and keep headaches and coughs at bay. Watch the sugar intake as sugar weakens our immune system making us more susceptible to winter colds and other viruses. 

2. Cut back on activities. 
There are enough extra things to do this time of year: decorating, cooking, baking, shopping, home maintenance and cleaning that are enough to overload anyone. I say NO to anything not Christmas-related. It can all wait till the new year. I say NO to extra commitments as I know what I need to do and I also know stuff always takes more time - and ENERGY - than I anticipate - waiting in lines, going back to the grocery store, finding that special gift, mailing gifts, writing Christmas cards. The list is endless so trim, trim, trim and I don't mean the tree. 

3. Take the pressure off. 
This is a new one for me. I have a habit of pushing myself to get it all done. Well, guess what goes out the window when we pressure ourselves? That's right - JOY! So these days, whenever I start feeling pressured, I stop and ask myself "What can I eliminate right now?" Just taking one thing off our to-do list can make an immediate difference and release the pressure valve. 

4. Lighten up.
Put on something funny to make you and others laugh. I was in the parking lot at Kohl's the other day and this Hindu woman was smiling at me. I wondered why she was beaming at me and then I remembered the Christmas gift box earrings I was wearing. A simple thing like playful earrings can make someone smile. I have also been known to wear antlers and a Rudolph nose in public this time of the year, much to the chagrin of my two sons. Do something light-hearted to feel more child-like and bring joy to others.  

5. Ask yourself what is really important.
It's easy to get stressed about over-cooked cookies, or putting on a few pounds, or the Christmas lights not working. When we snap at little things, there is usually something else going on below the surface. Make time to figure out what is really bothering you. 
In the big scheme of things though, how important are they? Are they worth losing your peace and joy over? We have to make a deliberate conscious choice to stay joyful and not sweat the little things. If we're not careful, we'll be snapping at loved ones and then feeling guilty later. Keep a pulse on your stress level at all times.  

6. Remember God is still with you. 
As I gaze upon the soft glow of the pink candle, I am reminded that no matter what is going on around me or in me physically, God is still with me. Emmanuel means "God with us".  No matter what has happened, God still loves you and me. He promises never to leave us or forsake us. No matter what is in upheaval or crisis, Jesus brings us peace. I'm learning to hand more things over to Him and give myself the gift of more peace. 

One of my favorite Scriptures verses says this: "Be still and know that I am God". (Ps. 46:10). He will take care of everything that concerns me in His perfect timing and I can trust that things will all work out for my good. Now that is something to be joyful about!

7. Be a blessing. 
Instead of focusing on our problems, what is missing in our lives, and all the ills of society, my suggestion is to do something good. Yup! Be a blessing. I make bags of cookies or biscotti and give them to neighbors and friends. I buy Christmas presents for children whose parents can't. A christmas card is another easy thing to do to bring a smile to someone's face. One year I did an email card with a photo I took of the Cathedral of Chartres I took when I visited France reminding me of the grace and mercy of God. 

When we put our attention on being a blessing, we don't have time for self-pity.  Many people have it so much worse than we do. Remember it is better to give than to receive. Give more and watch your joy meter rise! 

For Reflection
If you are struggling with the busyness and stress of this season, and feel less than joyful, take a few moments to light a candle of your own. Breathe, relax, and let the tension drain from your mind and body. Perhaps read your favorite sacred text or a passage or two of scripture to refocus your thoughts and connect with the Holy Spirit. The book of Psalms or the Christmas story in the Book of John are two good places to start.

Notice how different you feel. How much lighter. Go ahead and relax. Smile, and let your joy be contagious! They say a smile is the greatest gift we can give to someone and it's free!

If you enjoyed this post and would like to join our community and receive my weekly posts, enter your email in the box provided. I'll also send you out a copy of my fee e-guide entitled "7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path" to read or give to a friend. 

And I am excited to share my newest bbook "Take Back Your Life: 5 Keys to Reclaiming Your Personal Power" is available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Apple Books. Order your copy today get one for a friend and start the New Year off EMPOWERED!

Stay tuned for more positive and practical wisdom to help you find healing, wholeness, and harmony and discover YOUR destiny!

Until next time, choose joy and keep looking up!


Ariel Paz

This material is copyrighted. No portion of this material may be copied, reproduced or reprinted without acknowledgment of the author. 

No comments:

Post a Comment