Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Ignite the Power Within Step 3: Make Room for What Really Matters

Most of us lead pretty full lives, yes? We are always on the go. Our to do lists are never ending and the activities never ceasing. But yet, in those still quiet moments, we get that gnawing feeling that somehow we are unfulfilled and we have lost our joy. We really don't know what's important anymore. Ever feel that way?

It happens to all of of us from time to time. It's kind of like when our closets are bulging with beautiful clothes. We stand there in confusion wondering what to wear.  How can we decide what's important when our closets and our lives are so cluttered?

If the rooms of our lives are so full of stuff i.e activities, how can we possibly know and then make room for what truly matters? Begin by getting rid of what is no longer useful.

Every 6 months or so, I ask myself this question "What am I holding on to that I no longer need? and then I begin an inventory of my life. I start with the easy and mundane like my kitchen drawers and cabinets. Then I move on to the house and closets. Then it's time to analyze the deeper things like my priorities, activities, habits and thought patterns, and relationships. Which of these are no longer useful or bearing fruit?

To be honest, I have been guilty of holding on to cars, jobs, and some relationships for far too long. I've held on to negative thought patterns as well. The result of trying to hold on to something or someone that God was trying to get me to let go of was stress and anxiety. We are not meant to live all stressed out but it does take some effort to figure out what needs to go. 

The key is to realize when I am holding on to something that is non-productive sooner rather than later, and then - let it go! When we let go of something  people and activities that no longer serve us, we make room for something better to come along like JOY! So why do we hold on so long?

It comes back to that ugly four-letter word - fear. Remember, we have not been given a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and self-control. (2 Timothy 1:7). Let's not shrink back in fear of letting go of something or someone that is not good for us. God always has something better He is waiting to give us, but we must have open hands to receive it. Let go of the "I must do all this" or "I should do this"  mentality and instead, reframe your life into "I want to do this". See what a difference it will make in your life.

Today, I encourage you to take a step of faith to let go of whatever it is that is holding you back from receiving what really matters to you. If we want new things to come into our lives, we need to make room for them, just like in our closets. Take time to reevaluate your priorities and decide if it's time to let go of something or someone.

If you enjoyed this post and like to join our blog community, enter your email address in the box provided and you'll receive my weekly posts.  I'll also send you my free guide entitled
"7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path" to get you started. And do check out my many offerings on Pinterest. 

Until next time, keep looking up!

Ariel Paz  

No comments:

Post a Comment