Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Tuesday, May 19, 2020

How to Stay Content During the Pandemic

During this pandemic, there is a lot going on that can steal our joy, our peace, and our contentment, if we let it. We can focus on all the negativity, the interruption to our routines, and what is wrong with the world to name a few. Or we can choose a different way. Another way which will lead us instead to more peace, more joy and more contentment during these trying times and that is the topic I want to share on today - contentment. 


The apostle Paul talks about contentment and he says this in Phillipians 4:11 "In whatever state I find myself, I have learned to be content." Get that word - learned. He learned to be content. So how do we do this? First, a personal story that prompted this post. 

Personal Story 

Recently I have found myself in a quandary. So many of my friends and neighbors are moving out of state. Many want to avoid the high taxes here in Maryland. Others long for the beach life. Every time I turn around someone else is moving, which caused me to start thinking "Maybe I should consider moving, too". 
I started living in the future, instead of the present. I began to reexamine my priorities and values, which is a good thing, actually, when we are contemplating a big decision like moving. 

Indecision and living in the what ifs of the future are two sure ways to lose our peace. Waffling about a decision for long periods of time muddies the waters of a contented mind and soul. Being an introvert and a highly sensitive person, I think about decisions deeply and I really started to lose my peace and feel discontented. 

After considering what is really and truly important to me, I realized, I already have everything I need to make me happy. I am content right where I am. My priorities have not changed. I could have moved to the beach years ago with the company I worked for, but I chose not to then. I love where I live and have no good reason to uproot myself other than warmer weather, but right now that's not the most motivating factor. My peace returned. So how do we stay content when things around us try to torment us?

Stay in the Present Moment 

In the yogic tradition, one of the five niyamas or observances is samtosha or contentment.  It is fine to imagine how life could be different for a while, but don't let yourself get caught up too frequently in the future and bring your attention back to the present moment. Take a good hard look at your life right where you are at. Start being more aware of all the positives.

For instance, I live in a very convenient location, close to good shopping, amenities, trails, parks, entertainment, and the car wash. I can walk to most of these if I want. Besides, I don't like driving long distances to go someplace nor do I care to spend my days in air conditioning because it is too hot to go outside. 

Notice and enjoy your surroundings - the sounds of birds chirping and the robins flitting here and there. The sound of the tree foliage rustling as the breeze brushes their leaves. The enjoyment of a good glass of wine and a homemade meal, ingredients provided by the nearby grocery store. Let's not take for granted the simple things in life for they truly matter the most. This is YOUR life, not someone else's, and YOU get to decide what makes you happy. 

Practice Gratitude.

Gratitude leads to the path of contentment. When we are always comparing ourselves to other people, we lose our peace and our joy. Instead practice noticing and being thankful for what is in your life right now. Your loved ones. Your friends. Your health. Your indoor toilet. Running water. As I was sitting on my balcony today, I saw a lady being pushed in a wheelchair and reminded me to be thankful for my body and my legs. When we focus on the positives in our lives more than what is missing or what other people are doing, we will be much more content and at peace.

Control Craving 

Remember the story of Adam and Eve? They had access to every tree in the garden except one. And which one did they desire? And what happened after that? We humans have not changed very much since then, have we? Be careful what you dwell on. 

It is when our focus goes awry that we start to feel discontent, disgruntled, and unhappy. Our minds are like monkeys and need to be trained to stay on the right path of thinking instead of jumping hither and thither. 

It is a concious choice we make to control what we think on. In the same passage of Phillipians, Paul exhorts us to "think on what is true, noble, pure, virtuous, and praiseworthy." 

I hope today's post has given you some things to think about. We all have a tendency to let our minds wander and drift but if we want to feel more content, let's try to be more mindful and practice gratitude on a moment to moment basis. 

If you enjoyed this post and would like to become part of our community, enter your email in the box provided. You'll receive my free eguide "7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path" as well as my weekly posts. 

Stay tuned for more positive and practical wisdom to help you find healing, wholeness, and harmony so you can ignite the power within and discover YOUR destiny!

Until next time, keep looking up!

Ariel Paz 








No comments:

Post a Comment