Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Thursday, March 2, 2017

Ignite the Power within Step 3: The Power of Letting Go

Do you wake up in the morning with a pep in your step? Do you feel free and light-hearted most of the time? Or is something weighing you down? The third step to igniting the power within is a powerful tool we can use every day to start with a clean slate. Mastering it will help you leave past mistakes behind and move forward faster into the life you dream of.

You've most likely heard the phrase "Let go and let God". I thought everyone knew what letting go meant until one of my friends asked "How do you let go?" She was serious. So today, I'm going to do my best to explain the concept of letting go.

The lesson of learning to let go is powerful and can be applied in many aspects of life. I have to admit, this is one lesson I keep getting to practice over and over again because it applies to so many areas of my life.


What is "letting go"?
Letting go has to do with attachment. We humans tend to get attached: to people, pets, material possessions, as well as negative thought patterns to name a few. The problem is we become too attached. We hold on too tightly and then, inevitably, we suffer: a loved one dies or moves on, a material possession is lost, broken, or damaged, or a pet runs away. When we hold on to negative thought patterns or emotions, we prevent ourselves from moving forward in life like a rat on a wheel going nowhere. Faulty beliefs keep us stuck.

When to let go
Impermanence and change are undeniable truths of our existence. Everything on earth is changing. The seasons change. The weather changes. People change. Technology changes. Change is part of life whether we like it or not. It is all part of the circle and evolution of life. So how do we know when it is time to let go?

One way to know it is time to let go is to ask ourselves these question:s "Is this bearing any fruit in my life?", "Am I emotionally stuck?" or "Is this serving me right now?"  If the answer we get is no, it is time to put whatever it is behind us, adopt new ways of thinking and relating, and move on.

A second sign is lingering emotional or mental pain. For example, when we hold on to a dysfunctional relationship for too long, we will eventually lose our joy and our peace. Constant conflict and friction are signs. I have been guilty of holding on to relationships for too long so I know what I am talking about.

Grieving Loss 
It's normal to grieve the loss of a loved one or pet for a time, but if this grieving goes on year after year and we are constantly dwelling on the loss, it is time to let go.  At some point, we must make a conscious effort to not dwell on the memories because this steals the joy from today and prevents us from living in the present moment.

Letting go is a process we get to learn again and again in different situations.  Whenever I feel like my joy is gone, I ask myself "What do I need to let go of?" There is usually something that is stealing my peace and joy. The good news is with practice, we will recognize sooner when we need to let go of something.

If this post was helpful, please click the +1 icon, share it with a friend, or leave a comment. I'd love to hear from you. If you'd like to join our community, enter your email in the box provided. I'll also send you a copy of my free e-guide entitled "7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path",

Stay tuned for more on the third step to Igniting the Power Within. 

Until next time,

Keep looking up!

Ariel









No comments:

Post a Comment