Journey to Faith

Journey to Faith
Follow your own path

Tuesday, November 14, 2023

4 Practical Ways to Develop an Attitude of Gratitude & Increase Your Joy

There's a lot going on in our lives and in the world that can steal our peace and our joy, but there is always one thing we can do to stay postive and that is what we will talk about in this week'spost. But first...

The Brain's Negativity Bias 
Did you know our brains have a bias for negativity? Which means it naturally gives more attention to negative thoughts. Which means we have to make a conscious effort to keep a positive mental attitude. This is another area where mindfulness can serve us. For a better understanding of how the brain works, some examples of negative bias, and some interesting TEDTalks, check out this link. 

So what can we do to stay more positive and joyful? Develop an attitude of gratitude and here are my 4 tips to help us all be more content on a daily basis. 
                                    
                                    

                                

1. Appreciate the Every Day Stuff 
Often we take for granted so many things like being able to go out to dinner with friends or family, our water supply, full grocery aisles, our sight, our health, our bodies, even our jobs. My hope is that the pandemic has helped us all become more grateful for the every day stuff we used to take for granted. 

I did a guided gratitude meditation this morning and it was so uplifting. The leader reminded us to be grateful for our food and the people who grow it, for our grocery stores, for all the people who work to support us in life. 

Personally
I am thankful that the sun was shining through my windows when I woke up this morning. I am thankful my body is feeling good enough to do some exercises. I am thankful I am able to write these blog posts so I can be of service to you, my readers. I am thankful for the ability to cook and make nice meals. Shameless plug for my new Mediterranean cookbook :) I am thankful I could afford a haircut last week and that my gal had a cancellation. I am thankful my son and my mom remembered by birthday and helped me celebrate it even tho they are out of state. 

How About You?
What everyday things are you thankful for? By taking note of them on a daily basis, we train our brains and our neural pathways slowly but surely to dwell more on positive thoughts. A positive focus also helps alleviate anxiety, depression and loneliness, which can be so prevalent during these holiday months. 

2. Start a Tradition 
A tradition I started at my house many years ago was to put out a small basket with a pad of paper and a pen next to it. The basket is known as the "Blessing Basket". Each day of the month of November, each member of the household and whoever comes into my home that day is asked to write down one thing for which they are grateful for and put it in the basket. I like to see how people have to stop and think before they find something to write down. 

It can be anything, but the idea is to become more aware of the many blessings we each have on a daily basis. Then on Thanksgiving Day, we read all the slips of paper. They are anonymous of course, but it makes us realize how truly we are blessed despite the challenges we may be going through. In our house, there are always one or two blessings that make everyone laugh. One year, my youngest wrote "I am thankful for pressure or I wouldn't get anything done." Now there's a different perspective. 


                        
                   

3. Appreciate Others
Everyone wants to be appreciated and valued. Too often we take people for granted - our parents, our spouse, our friends, the people who serve us. Take time to tell someone how much you appreciate them today. Make someone feel valued. Thank people for the little things. When we are thankful, we show God we appreciate the blessings we have been given and we open the door for more abundance to flow through us. 

A simple complement may turn someone's day around. We never know what people are going through. I make a habit of complementing men on their ties or shirt. I notice when someone has been working out or got a new haircut. I complement women on their hair, their outfit, their nails. I thank the customer service rep no matter if they have been helpful or not. I try to give a bigger tip than is required. When I see a smile on someone's face, I know I have been successful in lifting them up and that increases not only their joy level, but mine as well.  

My latest thing is to not leave someone upset or down. This is not an easy thing to do especially when they or a situation has caused me a lot of aggravation but what good is it to leave someone on a bad note? If the conversation goes south or if I have to bring up a sensitive subject, I try to add an upnote by thanking them, making a joke, or somehow turning to a more positive topic. I get off the phone feeling good about myself as a human being who has not caused another human being to suffer. 

4. Recognize Your Blessings 
It's easy to take people and things for granted. We get used to having them around, having food in the grocery store aisles, being free to travel, but when something like the pandemic hits, it hits us hard. We no longer have the ability or the freedom to get together with family, travel, or find groceries. These days we are fighting inflation and speaking of groceries, everything has gone up. Including gas, eggs, and the price of a haircut. Life has its challenges, that is for sure and it is up to us to decide what we will focus on - the negatives or the positives. If we want to remain joyful, we will choose the latter. 

My mom, bless her soul, broke her hip in 2018 and she has had a tough time ever since. I can't even imagine not being able to walk, but I try to encourage her and point out the positive things in her life. Like the fact that she has me to help her handle her issues and her finances. She lives in a nice apartment. She can afford to have a caregiver since she is out of state. She doesn't have any chronic conditions like diabetes or cancer. 

We have to mentally make ourselves happy, like Abraham Lincoln once said "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." 

Most of all, I am thankful for the love, grace, and constant mercy of God. He has brought me through so much and so I am devoting the rest of my life to sharing that love, grace, and mercy with you through this blog and writing books. I believe having faith is a great gift and it is my honor to help you develop yours as well. 

For Reflection
Here are some tips to help you get started. Every night before going to bed,  name 3 things you are grateful for or use a journal to write them down. T
o increase your energy and your joy, start and end each day by giving thanks for something or someone in your life. 

When we learn to develop an "attitude of gratitude", our outlook on life changes and we are better able to handle the difficult circumstances of life when they arise. This is why the Apostle Paul encourages us "In all things, give thanks" (1 Thess 5:18). There is always a silver lining to life's challenges. 

If you enjoyed this post and would like to join our community, enter your email address in the box provided to the right. You will also receive a copy of my free e-guide entitled "7 Steps to Finding Your Spiritual Path".  Also, check out my newest ebook, "Take Back Your Life, 5 Keys to Reclaiming Your Personal Power". It was written from my life's experiences and lessons learned as to what is truly important in life and how to prioritize our time and energy, during every season of life. 

Until next time, remember: you are blessed to be a blessing and, as always,
Keep looking up!

Ariel Paz

This material is copyrighted. 


No comments:

Post a Comment